ITV may change to "pay-to-view"

anchor 13:50 31 Jul 10

From 2014 we possibly may no longer be able to watch some of ITV1's hit shows for free.

click here

What programmes would you be prepared to pay for?. Off hand, I cannot think of any.

gengiscant 14:23 31 Jul 10

I cannot remember when I last watched an ITV 'hit show' in fact I cannot remember when I last watched ITV. Up here in Edinburgh where we get STV,they have opted out of most of the networked progamming and we mainly get rubbish and/or rubbish repeats.

Mr Mistoffelees 14:32 31 Jul 10

ITV would be no great loss.

mr simon 15:37 31 Jul 10

Agreed. The international football would likely return to an ad-free Beeb channel and the rest of the line up is rubbish. Haven't watched ITV for a very very long time.

sunnystaines 16:14 31 Jul 10

ITV is mostly chav tv and dumbed down shows so will not see it as a loss.

dms_05 17:06 31 Jul 10

The Guardian carried a much fuller report the day before click here .

If I read the two articles together it seems ITV are looking to launch a Premium HD Channel on Sky. Lots of possibilities but one is they syphon off all the Premium content like Champions League football and put that behind a paywall.

ITV can do more or less what they want. Their only commitment is a PSB license that means they have to broadcast ITV1 on terrestrial TV until 2014. Within reason they can put whatever they want on that channel and have no obligation to include any Premium content which could be placed on a new satellite channel called maybe ITV Premium HD.

The other suggestion is they launch ITV 2/3/4 HD channels behind a paywall as well - they can't put it on terrestrial because Freeview doesn't have the HD capacity. Sky are making massive profits from their growth of HD channels and they want more HD whilst at the same time ITV would love to make extra cash from HD - it seems a natural fit.

I'm sure ITV1 will continue with Corrie as it's centre piece but it must be very tempting for ITV to maximise income in the way the major US TV stations have by reselling their Premium content behind a paywall.

morddwyd 19:34 31 Jul 10

Must admit I'm at a bit of a loss to think of anything I watch on ITV, except the local news, and I only watch that because it's the only local news available in Scotland.

morddwyd 19:38 31 Jul 10

Must admit I'm at a bit of a loss to think of anything I watch on ITV, except the local news, and I only watch that because it's the only local news available in Scotland.

AL47 20:29 31 Jul 10

wouldnt pay for it at all

Armchair 20:58 31 Jul 10

I'll probably be dead by then, anyway.

DANZIG 23:04 31 Jul 10

.....and people whinge about the licence fee!

Ho Hum!

:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant