It's that time of of the year [again] to get rid of your unwanted items ...

Aitchbee 12:56 PM 07 Jan 13

Are you having a clear-out?

Charity shops are a great place to find a bargain ... and your local bin area could suddenly be full of useful 'waste'.

Are you a recycler or a tosser?

Quickbeam 13:09 PM 07 Jan 13

I'm a scoffer, I've never had a problem scoffing all the selection boxes before 12th night.

It might be unlucky if I don't!

john bunyan 13:28 PM 07 Jan 13

This lady is of interest!! She benefits from tossers!

Furnish home from tip

Aitchbee 13:29 PM 07 Jan 13

Jock1e - to be a tosser requires a cold-hearted disregard for stuff that might be useful 'at a later date'. So I can safetly say I am not a tosser ... but a recycler. It's in my bones!

interzone55 13:34 PM 07 Jan 13

It's always fun doing an eBay search for "unwanted present" on Christmas morning.

In the last week I've bought two brand new Ralph Lauren shirts for about £10 each, both are genuine, unworn, and less than 10% of the retail cost

wiz-king 13:36 PM 07 Jan 13

I am. So far I have found in my 'spares' cupboard - 4 servers, 6 PC's, 10 inkjet printers, 1 dye sub printer, 5 CRT monitors and a few boxes of assorted leads, power blocks, keyboards and dead rodents. All will be going for recycleing.

Aitchbee 13:45 PM 07 Jan 13

wiz-king - you said exactly the same thing last year ;o]

Bing.alau 14:02 PM 07 Jan 13

My definition of a tosser is somewhat different. I take it you meant a Tosser-outer? My bin is already full and it's not quite spring yet. It would probably be better to sell items on e-bay I suppose but I can't bring myself to do that. easier to chuck them out. The only Christmas presents I got were bottles of rum and I will be chucking them out/re-cycling when they are empty and certainly not before.

Flak999 14:43 PM 07 Jan 13

I have just returned from a visit to the local charity shop (Age UK) dropping off an assortment of unwanted Christmas gifts, from 2012 and years past. I found them whilst having a root around in my loft after putting the decorations away for another year.

It's amazing what you accumulate!

spuds 10:32 AM 08 Jan 13

I suppose it all comes down to the area you live in, regarding names?.

In my area a 'tosser' is normally referred to as a person of stupidity or worse :O)

I like to refer to myself as a bit of a 'save this for another time' or infrequent recycler. Every Tuesday in my area is bin and recycling day, and outside my property is usually the location for a big pile of recycle bags from other neighbours for easy collection. Looking at the pile this morning, and what the bags contain, I am surprised that an 'independent recycler' hasn't taken the opportunity to have a sort out first. Kid's obsolete devices, electric fans, vacuum cleaner's, fish pond water pumps, but to name a few items that appear to be all there for disposal!.

Bing.alau 11:04 AM 08 Jan 13

I know what you mean. Our area has a local dump/recycling center and I am always surprised at some of the stuff that gets thrown out. Years ago it was possible to bung the staff a few quid to take back useful looking items. I myself paid a fiver for a more or less brand spanking new, lawn mower. The owner had dumped it because it wouldn't go. She had mowed the lawn when it was wet and the mower was bunged up with the stuff. For some reason she had also cut off the power cable. So after a good clean up and a new cable it went like a dream and I got many years use out of it before passing it on to my lad who had just bought a house and didn't have a lawn mower.

The staff don't do the passing on of stuff now though. Probably "elf and safety" again?

My daughter reckons our local dump is a better class than the one local to her. It's probably because a lot of the local footballers also live in the area.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

#AdventSauceJoyMince - generate a gratuitous Christmas tweet for #GivingTuesday charity

New MacBook Air release date, specs and rumours: 11in MacBook Air to be discontinued