"Its a poor workman who blames his tools"

Diemmess 18:31 10 Jan 05

“A Rod for our own back has ended with a tick” click here

I think any general criticism of Windows operating systems which appear to misbehave is unfair.

The computer is such a versatile tool unlike the dedicated inserts to almost every sort of electronic device.

Straight out of the box it can be almost anything the new owner wants.

1). An obedient secretary to record words, stories, opinions, decisions and so on.

2). An accountant or surveyor to explore financial and lifestyle problems and reveal possibilities.

3). An artist which can develop music, pictures, video and publications to taste.

4). An amazingly versatile means of communication including almost unlimited encylopaedic references.

5). An essential business tool to publicise and support a product or service.

6). A sophisticated games machine, though personally I wonder if this is not better handled by specifically dedicated hardware.

7). Like all society’s assets it is another opportunity both for good and ill. The malware writers are no more nor less than the vandals and hooligans of computer world. Similarly the thieves and bullies seize the opportunities they find here.

So unless as Flecc put it - “inappropriate additions or modification” are done, this new computer will continue to please ……until by pushing it a step too far………..but this is a deliberate act, not the fault of Windows?

Forum Editor 19:01 10 Jan 05

and as I said there:

"Take a computer out of its box and run it without installing any software, surfing the web, adding hardware, or upgrading, and it probably would run without a hitch for five, or even ten years. Run it as most computers are run however, and you'll be lucky to escape without the occasional blue screen or error message.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…