It’s only life, that’s all it is

Snec 14:24 16 Dec 09

Does it matter? Does it really matter?
Your life, my life, what’s going on?

We are here just for a very short time and I think the question really should be; if you think your life does matter, then to whom or to what.

Not your friends or family (that’s too easy).

The question is, when you finally shuffle off; who or what will have benefited by you being here? How will you have left your footprints in the sands of time? What will you have improved because of you?

Mike D 14:30 16 Dec 09

... that's a bit deep for 14:24 on a Wednesday!

Picklefactory 14:45 16 Dec 09

My ex wife would not have had the same bulging bank account if I had not been here ;o)

Hmmm, not an awe inspiring thought really. Unless you're Marie Curie or Mother Theresa the little good things most of do throughout or lives seem pretty insignificant. But if I've managed to put a smile on a number of faces in my time here, without doing any harm to anyone, and manage to raise my son to be a positive addition to this world, I'll be content with that.

Cymro. 14:59 16 Dec 09

not in the long run anyway and not for the majority of us. As Picklefactory says "Unless you're Marie Curie or Mother Theresa". I suppose most of us just plod along trying to do the best we can and do as little harm as we can to others as we go.

Cymro. 15:08 16 Dec 09

"The question is, when you finally shuffle off; who or what will have benefited by you being here? How will you have left your footprints in the sands of time? What will you have improved because of you"

Perhaps it is after all just a case of "the selfish gene" and that most of us are just here for the propagation of our species. Who can say what some distant offspring of mine may achieve one day in the distant future.
"Standing on the shoulders of giants" as the man said, not exactly the same thing but you get my meaning.

DANZIG 15:30 16 Dec 09

I like to think that at the very least, once every day that I make someone happy.

:-)

peter99co 15:43 16 Dec 09

Life is what you make it.

Or click here

bri-an 16:02 16 Dec 09

"The question is, when you finally shuffle off; who or what will have benefited by you being here?"

Why should this be the question? None of us know what life is all about, we can only have our own beliefs.
To make society function certain codes are needed and, in the main we generally follow them. I suppose it's called having order in your existence.
But if we feel the need to tell the world how good we've been, or how many others benefit from our own 'good works', then I'm not sure that's altogether healthy.

peter99co 16:12 16 Dec 09

We are put on earth to replace ourselves.

wolfie3000 16:59 16 Dec 09

In the end any mans impact on the world is meaningless, in the distant future our sun will wipe out all life on our planet.

So life (yours and mine) has no meaning or impact on anything.

bri-an 17:02 16 Dec 09

"We are put on earth to replace ourselves."

But when you sometimes look at what we're replacing ourselves with...?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…