its happened in china what about the uk?

sunny staines 13:41 04 Aug 07

click here

vista prices slashed in china to boost sales. what about the rip off price in the uk.

anyone going to china?

what happened to the petition.

Cymro. 13:59 04 Aug 07

I dare say it is all a matter of market forces, or should I say squeezing as much as you can from the consumer.

The standard of living and average income is much less in China than the UK so MS have had to reduce the price so as to be sure of sales.

If MS thought they would get away with charging as much in China as they do in the UK then you can be sure that they would do so.

Totally-braindead 14:01 04 Aug 07

The petition ended with just under 10,000 signatures and that was that. Microsoft never came out with a reasonable explanation to the FE who had some meetings/talks with them as far as I know so basically they charge us more because they can.

Is China not one of the countries that use a lot of illegal software? This might be them trying to make their pricing more reasonable to stop people using the pirated software.

Rigga 14:04 04 Aug 07

So TB using that logic, if we all started using pirated MS software, then MS would reduce the price to increase sales.

;) R.

Cymro. 14:05 04 Aug 07

basically they charge us more because they can.

their pricing more reasonable to stop people using the pirated software.

Yes indeed and so very very true.

Totally-braindead 14:17 04 Aug 07

Rigga perhaps it would happen who knows. The thing is the wages in China are much less than the UK.
If they want to make any sales whatsoever they have to make the price something that they can afford. If they don't they will all use pirated software. Thats the point I was trying to make.

Lets face it we're not all going to use pirated copies of windows in the UK. Many people get windows with their new PC anyway, and even if you don't and buy it even though it is much more expensive here than in the US its still affordable. To charge someone in China the same as we pay would result in little or no sales as they just couldn't afford it. I think a lot of them probably used pirated software not because they want to but simply because they cannot afford the genuine stuff.

spuds 15:07 04 Aug 07

In South East Asia, pirate copies are readily available after release, at far less manufacturer's selling prices. China is a very rapid growing market, so perhaps Microsoft are trying to educate the Chinese on what is perhaps right or wrong!.

At one time, Microsoft use to help in exchanging counterfeit copies of their software. That practise was stopped in the UK, but it may still continue in the USA!.

Jimmy14 15:38 04 Aug 07

"Is China not one of the countries that use a lot of illegal software? This might be them trying to make their pricing more reasonable to stop people using the pirated software."

Yes. My uncle came back from Hong Kong with an illegal chinese version of Vista on his laptop. He said it cost £1.25. It turned out to be a beta that had expired. He said it was at a market they were selling these copies and installing for people. I quickly wiped it as it was probably riddled with viruses.

sunny staines 17:49 04 Aug 07

do not use pirate stuff, seen pirate versions of most things offered but not vista yet here in the uk.

Pineman100 18:03 04 Aug 07

There's a basic marketing tenet that says "A thing is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it". Clearly we in the UK are prepared to pay what Miscrosoft is charging for Vista, or they would charge less.

There's only one way to get Microsoft to drop the UK price of Vista. Stop buying it. If sales dried up, the price would soon tumble.

sunny staines 18:12 04 Aug 07

i don't think too many retail versions have sold, its all new build computers that are consuming vista copies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…