It's a batch

Kev.Ifty 00:04 13 May 12

My mate from Leicester went into a chippy in Coventry and asked for "Chips and a Cob" The Girl worked out what he meant and asked if he would like butter on his 'batch'. My mate was really confused for a few seconds. He didn't know the proper mame for bread rolls is Batches!

How is he going to fair when he wants a scallop batch?

rdave13 00:11 13 May 12

If you have time then have a gander at this exiting thread, to batch,cob sarinie or to infinnity?...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

rdave13 00:22 13 May 12

That should be 'sarnie' not 'sarinie' but won't make a difference if you're not hungry........ :)

Input Overload 00:31 13 May 12

Eeeeeee I'll tell thee - I know exactly wor a a Chip Cob is but I have no idea what a Bread Roll is & have never ever heard of a Batch either ~ :-)

interzone55 09:10 13 May 12

Sorry, it's a chip muffin or chip butty.

There's so many different names for the round flattened lump of bread, within a few miles of my birth place they're called variously muffins, oven bottoms, baps & barms

Aitchbee 09:52 13 May 12

When I was about 4 or 5, I remember I had to signal to my elderly stone-deaf Auntie Annie that I was hungery and wanted a 'piece' (Glasgow word for a bread sandwich), by making a fist and biting on my knuckles!

She knew what I meant, then refined my choice of filling by asking me what I wanted..." Jam?...Lemon Curd? ... Marmalade?... Stork? ...Sugar?

morddwyd 10:57 13 May 12

What rubbish.

Everybody knows a batch is a delicious flat round loaf (shaped a bit like a flattened cheese)!

spuds 12:12 13 May 12

AitchBEE

Mentioning 'piece', brought back some happy memories, when I was initiated into some Scottish rituals, many years ago.

Nothing like having a 'fish supper' at lunchtime. Or frequenting a sawdust floored bar in the Gorbals or somewhere similar, and requesting either a 'light or heavy' with the compulsory chaser. Ho happy days!. .............

But going back to the bread subject, in our local Tesco superstore they stock a vast range of bread products, some with unrecognisable names and flavours. But I bet most of the local school-kids could tell you what they are?.

birdface 13:11 13 May 12

AitchBEE

That brought back a few memories.If there was no Jam left A piece of bread with Marg on it and sugar spread on the Top.

Aitchbee 15:10 13 May 12

spuds & buteman - it was not uncommon (as you probably know) for young starving children to shout up, from the street below " Ma...gonny throw me doon a piece".

Nine times out of ten it was sugar on margarine...on rare occasions, a brown sauce sandwich was a pleasant surprise :o)

birdface 16:50 13 May 12

AitchBEE

I still have a brown sauce one every now and again just so that I remember the taste.Maybe it tastes better on scotch Bread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced