It's amazing what can be done with a printer

TOPCAT® 19:30 19 Apr 07

if you know what you're doing, of course.

These University of Leeds researchers loaded a standard Hewlett Packard ink-jet printer with a solution of metal salts and water. Using this solution and a reducing agent afterwards they have managed to make various electronic circuits. The mind boggles! TC.

click here

Curio 20:07 19 Apr 07

who are fiendishly clever !!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:09 19 Apr 07

I like these uses
click here

What to do if your old epson packs up click here

Print new skin
click here

Totally-braindead 20:11 19 Apr 07

Bet that invalidates your warranty.

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:33 19 Apr 07

I thought that this was the way a lot of circuit boards were printed using an inkjet printer and etcher...admittedly a little more sophisticated than the home printers.

G

Totally-braindead 21:21 19 Apr 07

Read the article its produced in a different way using different chemicals and a standard printer.

Ho-Lin-Sok 23:09 19 Apr 07

There are special blue sheets that can be printed in a laser printer with your board layout, this is "ironed on" your copper laminate and then etched, the printed area being protected. Just drill your holes and solder up with components. As with the boards shown there is no labelling available to identify the components.

Ho-Lin-Sok 23:14 19 Apr 07

We use this method all the time at home.click here

squillary 23:25 22 Apr 07

I read the other day about the use of printer technology (if not a printer itself) to aid in the recovery of broken bones. I don't have the link to the article, but it was an interesting concept. It had something to do with laying down tissue like an inkjet might, using some form of 'cement' to bind it and repeating. Then this would act as a kind of frame for the bone to heal around, before the 'printed' material dissolved and allowed the bone to fill in the gaps.

Or summat...

Anyone got a far better description than me (not difficult, admittedly)?

Forum Editor 23:43 22 Apr 07

with an ordinary computer laser printer isn't that difficult, you print the circuit on special, blue paper film, which you subsequently iron onto a copper-faced board blank. You then peel away the paper, leaving a toner image of the circuit transferred to the copper.

Using an etching agent you remove the exposed copper, wash away the toner, and there's your printed circuit in shiny copper.You'll need CAD software to design the circuit, but it's something that anyone can do with a bit of practice.

The process used by Leeds university is different, in that the circuit was printed directly onto the substrate, with no need for complex and messy etching processes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…