It's all about how you tell 'em.

wee eddie 15:40 29 Aug 11

Earlier, in this part of the Forum, there was a sideline about Dwarves and Dwarfs, which are, of course, pronounced differently.

My question(s):

Do you play Gof or Golf?

and

What does this say about you?

wee eddie 15:44 29 Aug 11

Of course, if you lived around Louden, you would be going for a Game of Gowf!

canarieslover 16:21 29 Aug 11

I reckon that its Golf that I play, but my son reckons its not!!!!

john bunyan 17:11 29 Aug 11

Do you wear brine trysers (Prince Charles) or brown trousers (Prince William) when you play goff?

Aitchbee 17:25 29 Aug 11

Golf One Liners:- I'm in the woods so much I can tell you which plants are edible. Lee Trevino. A golf ball is like a clock. Always hit it at 6 o'clock and make it go toward 12 o'clock. But make sure you're in the same time zone. Chi Chi Rodriguez. The secret of missing a tree is to aim straight at it. Michael Green. They call it golf because all the other four letter words were taken. Walter Hagen. Golf is a good walk spoiled. Mark Twain. Give me golf clubs, fresh air and a beautiful partner,and you can keep the clubs and the fresh air. Jack Benny.

natdoor 17:31 29 Aug 11

wee eddie

Golf is believed to be derived from the Dutch game of Het Kolven. The Scots adapted the game for play on waste land instead of frozen dykes. Gowf was played in Scotland and the English play Golf. The difference is based on class. The former means 'gentlemen only, women forbidden' while the latter substitutes 'ladies' for women. Those were the days!

Toneman 18:17 29 Aug 11

One of my favourite golf jokes is about the foursome which included a vicar. One of the other players was getting more and more irate,using strong language. At last the vicar felt he must comment, saying "Please, have some respect for the cloth!" To which the reply came "Cloth be damned, we're playing golf, not billiards". Ah well, never mind...

Aitchbee 19:43 29 Aug 11

Phyllis Diller - The reason the pro tells you to keep your head down is so you can't see him laughing.

Gerald Ford - I know I'm getting better at golf because I'm hitting fewer spectators.

Eric Linklater - All I've got against it is that it takes you so far from the clubhouse.

Anon - The people who gave us golf and called it a game are the same people who gave us bagpipes and called it music

Aitchbee 23:23 29 Aug 11

Gimli does not mention GOLF in 'The Lord of Rings.' Golf was not popular in Middle-Earth.

Aitchbee 23:54 29 Aug 11

The game of golf is 90% mental, and 10% mental.

The less intelligent the player, the more likely he is to offer insights into the mental side of the game.

Sudden success in golf is like the sudden acquisition of wealth. It is apt to unsettle and deteriorate the character - P.G. Woodhouse

How can anybody relax and play golf? You have to grip the club don't you? Ben Hogan

For me, the worst part of playing golf, by far, has always been hitting the ball. Dave Barry

finerty 10:59 02 Sep 11

What about grass or brass,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…