It's about time HDD manufacturers caught up

De Marcus 20:02 11 Jun 05

as hd technology has been the least improved upon since computers began, here's a sneak peak of the future click here I for one am looking forward to it.

bremner 20:19 11 Jun 05

The least improved....eh

In 1995 my state of the art computer had a 420MB hard drive. There are now 400GB drives - Thats 1000 times the capacity.

The processor was an Intel 60Mhz Pentium - Intel now have 3.8Ghz an increase of 63 times the speed.

It had 8 MB of RAM. I now have 1GB an increase of 125 times the size.

Don't be hard on the Hrad drive.

De Marcus 20:23 11 Jun 05

Not being hard, just stating a fact, hard drives are basically and will probably remain the least improved upon technology in pc's, storage is of course ever increaseing, but what else is there?

bremner 20:36 11 Jun 05

My drive was at best 66ATA. SATA now has 300Mbps in its sights and 600Mbps around the corner. The new Rapter drives are very fast - about the only thing that has not changed is their physical size.( However who can ever forget the Quantum Bigfoot!!!!!!!!!!!)

That too is now changing with the 1.8" drives in laptops and iPods etc click here

Also the new Toshiba 0.85" drives that have been launched click here.

De Marcus 20:42 11 Jun 05

And that's what I'm looking forward too, those tiny high capacity drives, such as those found in the Ipod and the likes, as for the bbc article the only hard drive in my car is me.

bremner 20:57 11 Jun 05

Stripped out a Sharp laptop and found my first 1.8" drive. Really impressed and available at 60GB!

stalion 20:59 11 Jun 05

Nano technology is the next step forward in the storage evolution
click here

De Marcus 21:04 11 Jun 05

Wow, lets just hope Iomega can develop it into something us consumers can lap up ;-)

Total Care Support 15:54 13 Jun 05

Lol

Just reading this size has gotten a lot smaller I have in my office a Winchester 5MB Hard drive this has 4 platters each dual sided from 1974 this thing weighs in at about 40-50KGS its here on show as a talking point

going back 20 years you are looking at Winchester drives of 10MB still being the servers hard drives but being about the size of a A4 piece of paper and a good few inches thick being used to run a network of 10 to 15 people.

Admittedly the platter system has not evolved much (gotten smaller and lighter) but not changed in technology too much, but with flash ram and the ability to buy Flash RAM hard drives now, I would say it is still developing maybe not in such ways as CPUs but then again I would say Moores law is working against the development of processors as much as it works for it! (People see Moores Law as a prediction not a law when you hit the target of the law you stop developing for that generation.. Could it not be possible that in fact Moores law holds back the development of newer faster processors as they have this goal and target laid down so they don’t need to excel?

Hard drives have no such restriction as such they are expanding faster and developing in new ways, as bremner says the size has made huge jumps forward the speed has also Seagate with their raptor drives at 10,000RPM, Maxtor with 16Mb Cache's I would say the Hard drive industry is a lot more competitive than that of the CPU manufacturers where it is pretty much a 2 company race.

This BBC article just shows the next step one company is taking in development I am looking forward to the come back from other companies see if any one can beat the tiny 160GB 2.5” Hard drive. However, I know Maxtor had a 500GB Hard drive due for release back in April so that’s one companies answer already.

From IDE to ATA to SATA the technology is developing its just these companies don’t have as big a PR machine behind them as Intel and AMD, people talk about the new sexy chips, and the new sexy motherboards but the work horse of your system your hard drive is not and does not have that whoosh! sexy image. Maybe that should be the next development of the drives? A Platter in a clear casing with neon strobes inside and each cluster a different slightly different reflective colour turning the inside of your system into a party from its Disco Ball like display.

Daniel

DieSse 23:39 13 Jun 05

"as hd technology has been the least improved upon since computers began"

eh? - methinks you need to know a bit more about the history of computing.

I well remember, working as a drive product manager for a drive manufacturing company, having a presentation from Plessey about how hard drives would become redundant and magnetic bubble memory would take over. They totally failed to grasp how much drives would develop.

This was circa 1977, when 15" platter fixed hard drives were just starting to appear.

Who's ever heard of bubble memory now?

I also at that time visited a Burroughs fixed Disk refurbishment plant - more like a chemical factory (!) - where they were still recoating platters some 36" (yes 36") and more, and magnetic drums 20" in diameter and 30" tall. Ah those were the days lad :-)))

A good write up, with a great table of areal density growth on page 2 click here

CurlyWhirly 07:54 14 Jun 05

[QUOTE]I have in my office a Winchester 5MB Hard drive this has 4 platters each dual sided from 1974 this thing weighs in at about 40-50KGS its here on show as a talking point[/QUOTE]

Crikey, that heavy. How can a hard drive be that heavy?
It would probably take 2 people to lift it. LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…