Is it a virus or just another hoax?

lixdexik 23:34 04 Jul 08

Just had an email from friend warning of the next monster virus about to hit the computers of the world.
The usual stuff about send this to all your contacts.

This is from the email
"Hi All, I checked with Norton Anti-Virus, and they are gearing up for this virus!

I checked Snopes (URL above:), and it is for real!!
It is a virus which opens A POSTCARD IMAGE, which 'bu rns' the whole hard disc C of your computer."

Any body heard of this impending doom or should I just delete it like all the other emails of this description.

Cheers Lixdexik

rdave13 23:50 04 Jul 08

Delete.

laurie53 07:40 05 Jul 08

With "friends" like this..............!

Forum Editor 07:55 05 Jul 08

Yes, you should.

jack 08:10 05 Jul 08

Usually having received it themselves from another 'friend' and the messages contains all the 1002 addresses whoever got it before you, there are two thing to do.
1. Google the name or title the alleged virus.
This will confirm that it is indeed yet another hoax.
So simply delete it and Do Not Pass It It ON

And

2 Forwarding Mail with all the previous recipients included leaves them wide open to have their Addresses harvested for more malicious malarkey
So get rid of every thing .
and finally
3. Pass This Advice Back with the request to Your Friend to do like wise

lixdexik 10:04 05 Jul 08

L

Forum Editor 10:20 05 Jul 08

1. Don't ever, under any circumstances, forward one of these to everyone in your address book - or even to one person in your address book.

2. Delete these circular emails on sight - don't even bother to check to see if they're hoaxes, because they always are.

3. No software company will ever send a virus warning to anyone via email, and neither will the pentagon, a university, a government department, or any other institution. Microsoft will not issue a single warning in this way, and neither will any anti-virus company.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced