Is It possible to access your medical history

bumpkin 23:41 09 Mar 15
Answered

Now that everything is computerised and when you visit the doctors all your info is shown on a screen I wonder if it is possible for me to see it all. The doctors will of course let me view what they have showing at the time but I can't expect them to show me it all in an average 10 min consultation. I wondered if it I could access it from home to view at my leisure. I realize that there would have to be some kind of registration and security measures. does anyone know if this is possible.

Cara2 00:54 10 Mar 15

I have registered for Patient Access through my surgery. Very easy to do. I was simply issued with a registration letter which included a passcode.

I am now able to book appointments online, get repeat prescriptions and see my medical history. I don't think that all the finer detail is listed, but you do get the date and for instance something like "chesty cough" or I guess operations such as 'tonsils removed'. So not detail exactly but enough to jog the memory. It goes back many years.

Hope that helps.

lotvic 01:55 10 Mar 15
Answer

Not all surgeries have got the Patients Records on line yet for you to see them by logging on as per Cara2. It is supposed be coming in this year (2015)

However you can request a printout and photocopy of ALL your records complete, it costs approx £50 and you have to request in writing for a copy and state that it is for your own private personal use.

I did this a couple of years ago and it was quite easy.

From then on, now, I just ask the Receptionist for a printout of any test results etc and it's free.

I think if you just want a printout of what they have computerised it only costs £10, but you could ask the receptionist for further details.

They are not allowed to refuse you as long as you state is it for your own private personal use.

Here's an article about it click here

john bunyan 08:58 10 Mar 15

As I go to several different hospitals (in different Trust areas where the computers are not compatible) with Consultants in different disciplines, I now keep copies of my blood tests and MRI / CT scan results. The Consultants include me in their letters to the GP. I find it easier to keep my version of my history as the GP's one is not particularly comprehensive.

Al94 10:09 10 Mar 15

The article you link to Lotvic (although Daily Mail and therefore suspect) contains this:-

GP Dr Peter Short cites an instance at his Buxton practice where a mother was woken by a sick child at 3.30am, went online and made an appointment for 8.30am: ‘She stopped worrying because she knew her child would be seen within hours.’

Don't know what other's experiences are but checking EMIS this morning shows the first appointment available in our practice is Tuesday 31 March and a 3 week wait would be typical rather than 5 hours! (Yes you can attempt to get through on the phone at 8.30am for an emergency appointment)

They also limit which GP's can be booked online, have recently removed appointments for the treatment room and no medical records available. The online prescription reordering service is also unreliable as prescriptions for items re ordered are not always correct when I call to collect them.

The system isn't working well in our local health centre.

lotvic 12:07 10 Mar 15

'EMIS' is only one of many software service providers to GPs. My surgery uses 'SystmOnline' for appts and prescriptions and also has their own website for other info.

It is my understanding that the GPs (each surgery) decide which services to make available to patients through systems such as 'EMIS' and 'SystmOnline'

bumpkin 13:38 10 Mar 15

Thanks fot the information. Tried online to see what my local surgery had and I can book appointments and repeat prescriptions. Also plenty of general useful info. Just a print out of what they have at the surgery would be fine and I don't mind paying. I shall ask. You have answered my question, it is possible, thanks to all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5