It makes you wonder

scotmax 14:11 02 May 07

It makes you wonder.
Today I received my Road Fund Licence through the post after an on line re-newal, nothing strange there.
However the envelope was sealed inside a plastic bag with Sincere Apologises printed on the out side, and information as what to do as the item had been damaged whilst in the PO care.
The actual envelope had been completely opened, the contents had been removed and replaced, looking slightly grubby.
I thought that I should contact DVLA and enquire what other contents may have been in the envelope, and to inform them that it had been interfered with. So brave soul that I am and some 13 attempted phone calls and one hour later, with a 7 minute wait I spoke to a nice lilting Welsh voice
at Customer Enquiries, having explained what had happened, pointing out my thoughts regarding Identity theft and/or misuse of the contents, I was politely told that the information on the tax disc could be seen through my windscreen and nothing that was in any way useful to others would be displayed on it (which would seem to be a total piece of irrelevant information). Nothing else would be in the envelope and she could not see what use the contents could be put to. I asked if some note of this happening could be kept and was told that it should be referred to the PO.
So I'm left wondering, have I completely wasted my time and what the interference with the contents of the envelope would or could achieve, and who is interested in this happening.

Tom

spuds 16:39 02 May 07

If the tax disk hasn't been tampered with, and the plastic bag was sealed and delivered by a postman, then I wouldn't bother about it. Genuine daily occurrence and procedure, that the postal services deal with.

If you hadn't received the tax disk ( I think the DVLA give a timespan), then that would have been another matter, that would have required further investigation.

When I get torn and damaged mail, the Royal Mail/TNT/DHL don't even bother to supply the plastic bag #:o(

Forum Editor 17:06 02 May 07

the disc can be clearly seen in your windscreen, in fact it's specifically designed that way, and there's absolutely no personal information on it.

You got your disc, albeit in an opened envelope, but nothing untoward has happened, so I should forget about it.

scotmax 23:41 02 May 07

I'm not unduly worried as I have the tax disc which is the main thing. Having been displaying tax disc's in my vehicle windows for some 45 years am fully aware that no details other than those pertinent to the vehicle are on it, which is why when the lady informed me of it, I thought that it was an irrelevant comment.
The rest of the document the tax disc was part of naturally contained my name address and details that acted as a receipt, not enough to help with an identity fraud.
My thoughts were along the lines of is there a possible scam in being and by notifying the sender that their post had been interfered with, asking them to note it should there be anything further happening in relation to it then they would be aware. But it would appear that even as the various government agencies are aware of identity theft and the likes, being informed that their mail has been interfered with is not anything to take seriously or take note of, which in the current climate of various frauds does seem a strange attitude to take.
May be I'm to old fashioned in thinking that passing on the information may help in some way, or that my thought processes having dulled with age, are not upto speed with the current in thinking, stuck with the old adage of forewarned.

Tom

Forum Editor 23:56 02 May 07

issues around 29 million tax discs a year, and an increasingly large number of them are being renewed online.

I suppose it's to be expected that some of them will go adrift, or arrive in damaged envelopes.

scotmax 00:37 03 May 07

FE.
Thanks for that statistic, I actually had thought in higher figures trying to drag from the grey cells some item I had read.
I agree, they would expect that a percentage would logically go astray or arrive damaged.
However my envelope arrived not damaged, but having been fully opened and the contents removed and replaced, not slit open but torn open consistent with having put a finger under the flap and torn along the full length. It was this that made me make my phone call and try to pass on the information . Other post I have received damaged has been damage that looked consistent with rough handling or being caught.
Maybe as Forum Member suggests it may be better to pass it on to the Post Office, for their thoughts on the matter.
For my own part I have lost nothing and I only wanted to inform someone what had occurred for any future reference.

Tom

Forum Editor 00:39 03 May 07

That figure applies to the PLG vehicle category - it doesn't include heavy goods or passenger vehicles.

Ben 216 01:58 03 May 07

Are now irrelevant... If you look at them they do have a bar code on which apparently can be picked up on cameras to check if it's out of date. However, to renew your tax (online or otherwise) you have to have you car registered on the insurance database (up to your insurance provider to do, although not all do and it's you who gets fined if you're stopped and not on there, with the message: "Pass the fine onto the insurance company"), have a valid MOT which is also registered on a database, and the registration document/reminder. All these things are electronically linked together, and the number plate recognition system will send you a fine if any of these have expired and your car (or at least plates) are detected on the road. On top of this, the tax disc is sent through the post, which means depending on delays and when you apply, you could be driving round on an invalid disc: Failing to display? So why are tax discs even needed any more?

jack 14:02 03 May 07

All above intimating not to worry is fine- with proviso who would want to open your mail in this way[Finger under flap etc.,] This would indicate a simple misdelivery and the recipient opened first and looked second and re posted.
One point- take care when you park- it is possible someone with a vehicle like yours but stolen/or written off & rebuilt- wanted a disc to copy.- a feint chance but possible.

Chris the Ancient 17:58 03 May 07

I do stand to be corrected because this may be an 'urban legend'.

Isn't it the case that in the USA, you have to produce all the appropriate documentation and they then issue you with new registration plates with the expiry year on them? And the only place that you get new registration plates is at the local DMV office - who have them made in the local prison? (Good way of keeping the inmates employed!)

And then they go and spoil it all by making you carry your licence and insurance with you when you drive. So what do most citizens do? Put it up behind the sun visor where any chav can nick them.

But then, can anybody come up with the details of a country that has, maybe, a harder system to cheat than ours?

CtA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…