Is it ilegal to edit games?

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 12:45 28 Mar 05

Hi all,

I have found that i can edit games out to be how I want it,sometimes you can use a console to do it for you.

Or sometimes you can find in the install directory, a 'string' file or 'ladder' file most likely to be in a folder called 'data'.

And edit it with notepad.

Say for instance i was stuck on mission 17,so i just delete the mission17 line,and the game would work fine without the mission.

also you can delete loading screens that take forever to load so you can get into the game quicker.

You can find sometimes that it is on game cheat sites.

Is doing this ilegal?

Thanks very much.

Ben

GANDALF <|:-)> 13:15 28 Mar 05

Isn't the point of palying games to complete all the levels. I fail to see the point in cheats unless they are for the incredibly stupid/lazy.

G

Kate B 13:56 28 Mar 05

Interesting point, Gandalf. I think the point of games is to enjoy them - and if you're stuck you won't enjoy the rest of the game. Things like the console are there for you to use - presumably otherwise the programmers wouldn't have put it there. It's also easy to edit a config file to tweak performance etc: for example, Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines, which is based on the Half Life 2 engine, runs much better if you substitute the HL2 config file for its own one.

I also buy game guides - I get much more out of a game with them. Given that I have the attention span of a particularly inattentive gnat, they help keep me engaged and playing rather than giving up when I can't find something/complete a level.

But each to their own ...

It's Me 14:36 28 Mar 05

I agree with Kate B here. If I did not employ these tactics, I would give up all the games I've tried, so far, after the first hour, Nevertheless, I do enjoy them immensely, providing they do not require finger gymnastics involving jumps and leaps etc which totally defeat me. Unfortunately, we can't all be geniuses GANDALF <|:-)>.:))

Illegal? I've no idea, but since many of the cheats, which include editing, appear on official web sites, I doubt it.

Starfox 15:41 28 Mar 05

As these changes are for your own use I don't see how it can be illegal.If you were to adapt the games and then sell them on that would be a different matter.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:10 28 Mar 05

'Unfortunately, we can't all be geniuses'...call me old-fashioned and radical but I always thought the point of any game was to keep playing until one became better (chess, backgammon, monopoly, dominoes etc.). Sorry, it really is just bone-idleness.

G

Kate B 20:00 28 Mar 05

think you're being a bit hard, Gandalf ... I like having fun AND getting better. But sometimes having fun needs a bit of help - and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm playing World of Warcraft at the moment and I'm in a guild - people wade in and help each other all the time. Is that cheating? I don't think so.

For example, I was getting hammered by some monsters slightly above my level t'other day but I needed to collect stuff from them. I put out a shout to my guild and a big dwarf, way ahead of me in levels and with nothing to gain from helping me slaughter murlocs as he wouldn't get any XP from them, came over to where I was and waded in. That was fantastic, we both had fun, I completed my quest, we both made a friend ... but was it cheating to call in reinforcements?

Andybear 20:21 28 Mar 05

I'm with you. If there's a real war or battle on, reinforcements get called in. What's the difference?

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 20:40 28 Mar 05

There is no aim to a game,you spent the money play it as you like even if you only wan't it for using the CD as a freisbie!

I play my games and when i am stuck/completed the game i use the cheats just for that extra fun,and getting a little more for you money.

Anybody who is obbsessed with with the way you play/do things are boring and should play lord of the rings.

shizzy 21:33 28 Mar 05

Must agree with the wizard this time. It's the era we were brought up in. If you can't do your maths Ben you use your calculator. If we couldn't do ours in our heads then it was hard luck.

Starfox 22:01 28 Mar 05

Got to agree with you there,we pay our money and should be able to play the games as we wish.Sometimes the only way to progress is with a little help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…