is it an eyesore

sunny staines 03:57 16 Feb 08

click here

I am not from the north but it does look an eyesore to me. I thought they could at least give it a coat of paint instead of leaving it to rust away, perhaps the glider wings could be painted with st georges flag or the union jack.

i do not know the history of it, so would welcome any info/views.

€dstowe 07:20 16 Feb 08
  lisa02 07:41 16 Feb 08

Much better than that banana thing that's featured in another thread.

User-1235809 07:49 16 Feb 08

When it was first erected, and before I had set eyes on it, I thought it was any eyesore too, but the sheer size of it makes it impressive. I hope something has been done to ensure it doesn't rust away

crosstrainer 07:54 16 Feb 08

Much of a culture / art person, but find the angel of the north quite easy on the eye. If that is rust on the wings, then it seems to add to the effect. As for that banana thing....Rubbish!

jack 08:20 16 Feb 08

To be erected adjacent to the Ebbsfleet International Terminal- The competition including Gormley I believe are busy dreaming.
A decision soon.
Another eyesore taller than Nelsons column
It will be but a mile or so from my home[ and a few thousand others of course in an urban area.]
Huh!

Simsy 09:14 16 Feb 08

when it comes to much art, especially "modern" art. When it was originally errected I, like many, poo-pooed it.

But a few years ago I had to go to Newcastle for work, and saw it, up close.

Like many, many, things it is very, very different experiencing it "in the flesh" compared to seeing photographs or TV pictures.

I didn't think much of it, but now I do!

Regards,

Simsy

Pineman100 09:33 16 Feb 08

And, as I used to drive past it fairly often, I had plenty of time to study it "live" in minute detail (average speed on that section of the A1 Gateshead bypass - 5mph is you're lucky).

laurie53 09:52 16 Feb 08

Not yet seen it, but hope to.

I think it's magnificent.

Jak_1 15:16 16 Feb 08

If you think that's an eyesore, this is worse!
click here

Though it does come in useful for placing our trophies from derby wins, it can hold quite a few Man Utd supporters suitably scewered :)

Totally-braindead 15:43 16 Feb 08

Don't go too close Jak_1 or you'll poke your eye out!

Regarding the angel I didn't think much of it when it was first erected and feel much the same about it now. I don't really dislike it as I do the yellow thing.

Might be the wrong thing to say but there are better things to spend money on in my opinion, things that would improve the quality of life for many people. Personally I would rather the money was spent on the likes of parks and trees and that sort of thing, gardens perhaps rather than spending cash on things like this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…