It cannot be the end for the humble floppy

Totally-braindead 22:35 01 Feb 07

There was a thread going click here about the end of the floppy.
Now I've just reinstalled my windows and because it has RAID I had to use the floppies for the RAID in order to install windows. It gave you no option other than to use the floppy.
My board is an ASUS A8NSLI Deluxe and it got me wondering. If your computer doesn't have a floppy drive and you wish to use the RAID how are you meant to do this without having a floppy drive.
I can't believe this is the only motherboard that uses floppies to install the RAID and the controller has to be installed before you install windows so how on earth do you do it?

Forum Editor 23:05 01 Feb 07

by creating a slipstream bootable Windows setup CD, and adding the RAID drivers to it.

TOPCAT® 23:09 01 Feb 07

It's quite a procedure but some make a new unattended Windows install CD, others use nLite and slipstream the drivers onto the windows CD. Never tried this myself though. TC.

Totally-braindead 23:36 01 Feb 07

And how differcult is it to make a slipstream bootable Windows setup CD with the RAID drivers on it?
I'm sure it isn't as easy as creating a couple of floppys from the CD.
I had forgotten how annoyed I was with ASUS when I got my new board as they didn't supply the RAID drivers on floppy, you had to create them from the CD so I had to nip round to a friend to use his PC.
Its done now so its not really that important, its just when I had to use the floppy I thought to myself we were discussing the demise of the floppy just last week and I thought I would open a thread about it.
Actually thinking about creating a slipstream CD would you not have to have the windows installed to create the disk with the drivers and if so and you wanted to setup RAID 0 then would you not have to blank the PC again and reinstall because I think the RAID drivers have to be installed before windows does?

Kate B 23:45 01 Feb 07

A subject dear to my heart - I've got that mobo and no floppy. I was under the impression you could install the raid drivers from a flash drive. I hope that's the case.

Totally-braindead 23:57 01 Feb 07

Kate B I don't think that would be the case, if you don't want RAID theres no problem but when you hit F6 or wa it F4, anyway whatever it is when installing windows to load any third party controllers which is what you have to do with RAID controllers it comes up with please put disk in floppy. Theres no mention of anything else and no option to change it, mind you I didn't click ok untill the floppy was in the drive so it might accept another option. You know come up file not found and search for the driver. Don't know cos I never tried it.

GrumpyJ 07:43 02 Feb 07

Unless I'm missing something here, you can buy external USBfloppy drives. My Laptop and Desktop do not have floppy drives so I had to get an USB one as I have a lot of stuff still stored on floppy discs.

Chris-347369 08:26 02 Feb 07

This is no use for people running XP but when you install Vista now it will except RAID drivers on a flash USB drive.

A few years from now no one will be using them at all except on old legacy systems. And there's always a spare one hidden somewhere when you need one

Kate B 09:10 02 Feb 07

that's what I'd gleaned from my Googling - thanks for confirming that, Pyroxide.

Totally-braindead 10:14 02 Feb 07

Doesn't help XP users but point taken Pyroxide. I'll tick this as resolved now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac