ISP's, P2P networks and download caps

CurlyWhirly 20:05 03 Sep 04

I am sure that most people are aware that ISP's are now offering really cheap broadband deals like a 1 mb service for only £17.99 but with download caps.
I am just curious that if the ISP knows how much data you are downloading (in order to cap you) would they also know if you are on a P2P network?
I would stress that I don't use P2P networks anymore but I am amazed that people who use P2P think that they are anonymous but perhaps this might NOT be the case?
CW

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:50 03 Sep 04

Your ISP has to keep, by law, a full record of your net meanderings for 6 years. Naturally, because of this, they know about downloading music/films and this is how most prolific downloaders are caught in the States/Italy. All emails, net traffic reports and text messages are stored. These records are never checked unless you are doing something well-dodgy. ;-)))

G

CurlyWhirly 21:01 03 Sep 04

I guessed as much and you have just confirmed it for me.
What used to happen was that when I used to use P2P networks my connection used to be erratic and sometimes cut out a couple of times an hour.
This ONLY seemed to happen while on P2P networks and not when surfing normally.
This may mean that AOL tried to 'sabotage' my connection but not to worry as I don't use them any more anyway.
Thanks.
CW

CurlyWhirly 21:05 03 Sep 04

I suppose this is how paedophiles get caught in chat rooms.
I suppose it has it's advantages but I don't like having my e-mails stored due to privacy issues.
CW

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced