ISP buyouts

CurlyWhirly 20:58 14 Oct 04

click here

Why all the ISP buyouts?
Is there not enough money to go round i.e. is the market 'saturated'?

TOPCAT® 21:17 14 Oct 04

Something like shuffling pieces on a chess board as each strive to increase their appeal, consumer base and profits. The best can then stand up to the big boys in the business, like BT, Wanadoo and AOL UK. It's all there in the article. TC.

CurlyWhirly 21:21 14 Oct 04

Thanks. I did read the article regarding consolidation but I was just curious if there was too many ISP's with only so much money to go round as since broadband has become more popular there are new ISP's coming into the market all the time like for example Tesco?!

TOPCAT® 22:03 14 Oct 04

It's those cash strapped smaller ISPs that are being hunted, especially if they have a decent number of subscribers. It's cheaper it seems to buy an ISP than try to find new customers by themselves. Other, less viable providers will probably go to the wall, but as the article says, more new ISPs will appear in their place, hoping to become a performer that catches the eye of the bigger players.

I don't think investment money is yet a problem on the broadband scene, as the move by Tesco shows. There are still a few slices of the cake to be had, but for how long remains to be seen. TC.

spuds 23:28 14 Oct 04

It wasn't all that long ago that Tiscali went on a buying frenzy.They must be about due for another session.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…