Isnt it sad people of the UK are in these situations when:

Autoschediastic 10:08 13 Sep 11

We are sending hundreds of millions to other countries and hundreds of millions too the Euro clowns who have wasted it all..

Story Here

Woolwell 10:14 13 Sep 11

Regrettably Foodbanks have been around for some time.

Strawballs 12:19 13 Sep 11

The cost of living is considerably lower in those countries as well, that must put you in the super rich bracket then.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:15 13 Sep 11

Further to Fourm Member's post I should point out that, at current exchange rates, 860,000 Zambian Kwacha are worth around £74.

Forum Editor 17:38 13 Sep 11

"Isnt it sad people of the UK are in these situations"

Yes, it is, but don't go thinking that food-banks are there because the country is awash with starving millions. The food-banks are used by poorer people certainly, but you are quite likely to find that a family with a detached house and a couple of cars in the garage are in receipt of food boxes.

Food boxes go to people who - for whatever reason - find themselves in financial difficulties and unable to find the money to buy enough food to feed themselves. Often the situation is a purely temporary one, but that doesn't mean that the need is any the less urgent. Charity isn't just for poor people, it's for needy people, whatever their circumstances.

Pineman100 18:22 13 Sep 11

fourm member

I am, metaphorically, on my feet applauding you.

The average person in the UK has no conception of what real poverty is.

My son works for Save The Children, and his working life is spent trying to better the lot of people (particularly children) who have nothing. Absolutely nothing. No home, no food, no water, barely a stitch of clothing, and precious little life expectancy.

He has recently been in the Dadaab refugee camps near the Kenya-Somalia border. These camps house nearly 500,000 people who have been brought to the brink of starvation (and all too frequently beyond it) by a severe drought, coupled with the lawlessness of the failed state of Somalia. Many of them are attacked and raped by marauding gangs as they try to get to the camps; many of them are suffering disease. Some are too weak or ill to get there at all.

The donations of wealthier nations are all that stands between the people in these camps and a lingering death from disease, starvation and thirst.

And these refugees are just a drop in a worldwide ocean of such unfortunates.

So, Autoschediastic, I'm sorry to be blunt, but don't complain to me about the money we're sending to other countries. Jump up and down about our contributions to the EU if you must, but please try to be a bit more selective with your disapproval. This country's overseas emergency and development budget is something to be applauded and to be proud of. It is, quite literally, saving lives and building some sort of basic life expectancy for millions of otherwise doomed people.

Lecture over. Sorry if I got overheated.

interzone55 19:16 13 Sep 11

In the early 90's I spent some time travelling around Pakistan, straight off the plane you encounter the abject poverty that is ever present in a country that is no-where near the bottom of the world poverty league.

I stayed in Islamabad for a few days and spent a day in one of the slums around the city. Islamabad was built in the 60's for the government, but as usual no-one thought that cheap housing would be needed for the low paid workers.

The slums are mud huts, much like you'd find dotted along the roads between the cities. Whole families live in a single room. The day before I visited heavy rains had caused the main sewer to overflow and half the slum was flooded with human waste.

Despite these families living off less than $1 a day they welcomed me, and the group I was travelling with, and each family gave us chai, and we shared dinner with another family. In the last house he visited the father produced a bottle of Johnnie Walker that must have cost six months wages in a Muslim country.

These people are living in true poverty due to simply not earning enough to live, not because they overstretched themselves with a huge mortgage and credit for two cars...

Autoschediastic 12:06 15 Sep 11

Thank you to everyone for the input on this, ive since contacted my local Food Bank via email and phone the local food bank and offered them a few days a week voluntary work, i told them on the voicemail i dont want paying i will gladly help them organise or run the place if they need me too & i am disappointed they haven't had the decency to at least reply.? no calls no emails.?

My Local here

GJC60 21:03 20 Sep 11

Lets be honest here, we have given billions of £ to Africa over the years and they are in the same position as when we started giving. Its just throwing good money after bad, most of it goes into Swiss bank accounts or to buy arms. I once read that only 2p. out of every £ found its way to the people that needed it! So it seems to me that there are a lot of well paid charity workers about, living on the other 98p. Let them settle their stupid tribal wars ect. without us wasting any more money on them, then that can help people in this country that need it.

Forum Editor 22:41 20 Sep 11

GJC60

Thank goodness there are others, more enlightened than you. if you think that Africa is "in the same position as when we started giving" then you are seriously adrift in your understanding of what has happened on the continent over the past fifty years or so.

wee eddie 00:00 21 Sep 11

FE, while I agree with you about the necessity of maintaining the flow of Aid, as a Country we are not free from Politicians that manage to enrich themselves while in Office, or manage to store Brownie Points with Companies, that benefit from their cognisance, to benefit themselves after they have left office.

We do not have it on the scale that the African Continent does. The wealth that some of the African & Arabian Potentates have gathered from our goodwill is truly staggering.

It would not go amiss if we took more trouble in getting the Aid to it's recipients without the pilfering on the way. The profiteering at this end is bad enough but pales into insignificance when it gets to the other end.

That Aid is too important, to those that need it, for us to remain placid about the seepage along the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…