Isn't this disgusting?

TOPCAT® 22:44 30 Mar 07

I think that at this stage of the delicate negotiations over the release of our hostages this former Foreign Office department head should have kept his mouth well and truly shut. click here His statement, however true or otherwise, has done nothing more than give the hard-line Iranian president another reason to further delay the hostages release. I think it is most irresponsible of the man and he should be severely reprimanded.

I am also of the view that the UN delegates too should be ashamed of themselves when they allowed Russia to 'persuade' them to 'water down' the latest British protest to Iran. The Iranian powers well know that such a mild rebuke from the UN doesn't even warrant a reply and can and will probably be ignored. What a state of affairs!

I believe that in over six years on these forums this is my first real rant, and I do apologise if it upsets anyone. When I think of how many times this country has gone in first to the aid of others in the name of the UN, words fail me when they treat us like this, and perhaps now you can understand my anger. TC.

Al94 22:50 30 Mar 07

It is, of course, possible that this is getting nearer the truth of the matter. I struggle to believe much of what the British & US Governments put into the public domain these times.

Z1100 23:03 30 Mar 07

but I am scared to death of its Government.

That's about all I can say.

Hanx!
K

Brumas 23:06 30 Mar 07

We'll start a club!

hzhzhzhz 23:16 30 Mar 07

Brumas

I want to join please.

Z1100 23:20 30 Mar 07

for the first 6 months....

Hanx!
K.

Brumas 23:24 30 Mar 07

No probs - according to one of my spams I am about to become a multi-millionaire, I'll pay for hzhzhzhz as well ;o)

hzhzhzhz 23:34 30 Mar 07

Brumas

Thanks.

Forum Editor 23:48 30 Mar 07

into a reaction to this you might consider that:-

1. This man was dismissed as Britain's ambassador to Uzbekistan in 2004 after disagreeing with our government's foreign policy. On being recalled to London in 2003 he was confronted with 18 disciplinary charges, one of which was that he granted UK visas in exchange for sex. all but two of the charges (being drunk at work and misusing the embassy's Range Rover) were subsequently dropped.

2. The original report of his alledged comments comes from The Islamic Republic News Agency - hardly an unbiased source, one would have thought.

3. He has no official status, apart from being the Lord rector of his old university of Dundee - a post for which there was only one other nominee, former Scotland rugby captain Andy Nicol.

Despite all this, if he did make the comment about the dubious nature of the Iraqi/Iranian maritime boundary he may well have been quite near the truth. The boundary has been the subject of almost constant dispute between the two nations, and although an arbitrary boundary used to be marked by buoys, they no longer exist, or at least a lot of them don't, and the boundary is notoriously difficult to mark. The Royal Navy uses its own chart to observe it, and copies are issued to boat patrols. These patrols are monitored by their mothership, and are warned if they are near the boundary line.

WhiteTruckMan 00:40 31 Mar 07

click here

Has his saying it to the daily mirror. I've had a search of the site but cant find anything like it. (bu tthats not to say such an interview didnt take place or that he in fact said these things).

But in these uncertain times I choose not to believe anything that comes out of tehran. Anyone wants to call me racist or islamophobic then go right ahead. I'm not, but dont let that small nugget of truth get in the way of anyones perceptions.

What i AM is supportive of my country and its armed forces. I'm not saying I support my countries government, and I'm not saying I dont, because they they are merely transient. But I definately will NOT support another countries regeme ahead of my own.

WTM

chocolate cake 01:06 31 Mar 07

The Mehr News Agency was established in Tehran in June 2003 to provide accurate and up-to-the-minute information to the public, with an emphasis on news about Iran and the rest of the Islamic world.

Sounds like a balanced report to me then.:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…