Is Islam and Democracy mutually exclusive?

john bunyan 18:59 28 Jul 14
Answered

I can think of a few Muslim Countries that have successfully embraced democracy, such as Malaysia and Indonesia. I am sure most people believe that Democracy is the regime that most people want. However many Islamic countries seem only to work under a "Dictator", King or Sultan. At the moment many countries seem to have slipped into chaos - to name but a few: Mali, Libya, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Northern Nigeria,plus a number of others(and Pakistan and Egypt are "rocky"), and who knows how Afghanistan will fare with a new President and ISF leaving. It seems a shame but partly because of tensions between Sunni and Shia, and between tribe in tribal societies, that democracy is unlikely to prevail in those places at the moment. I wish I had an answer.

Woolwell 21:18 28 Jul 14
Answer

I think that we nay have been here before. The nature of Islam is submission to Allah (God) as laid down in the Quran (which may not be altered and should always be read in its original language as translations are frowned upon). Therefore Muslims are used to submission and listen carefully to their Imam. You will notice in pictures of Muslims at prayer you will only see men and they all do exactly the same at the same time and generally dress alike. Free speech and even free will which is more conducive to democracy does not greatly flourish under such circumstances. There are exceptions but ISIS wants to establish a caliphate who is lead by one supreme leader. Iran has something like that. A caliph is not far removed from a dictator, king etc.

sunnystaines 21:35 28 Jul 14

its the brain washed culture they live in, other groups have it but not as extreme look at orthodox jews, amish etc

BillSers 08:32 30 Jul 14

You'll find in dictatorships that women have no say at all. Considering that our society has progressed in many ways since equality for females here has increased, this allows their gender skills to balance out the testosterone fuelled ways of us blokes. Take Mugabe, Putin, Bashar etc, and you'll see the wives have no say, although in a healthy marriage the relationship works because it's based on team-work. In other words you have someone to sound off and get feed-back. Where this is missing you end up with tyrants.

wee eddie 09:12 30 Jul 14

Christianity has been going for 2000 years.

Islam has been going for 1600 years.

Give them another 400 years to get it worked out!

Woolwell 11:26 30 Jul 14

wee eddie - They are mutually exclusive.

Aitchbee 22:27 30 Jul 14

Can anybody explain to me in simple terms what 'mutually exclusive' means?

My big dictionary doesn't cover the two-word expression. ;o[

Aitchbee 22:39 30 Jul 14

and will the term make any sense to the peoples of Mali, Libya, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Northern Nigeria,Pakistan and Egypt?

Algerian peter ™ 22:44 30 Jul 14
  Aitchbee 22:55 30 Jul 14

Thanks Algerian Peter.

The answer is definitely no! [According to the definitions]

rdave13 23:59 30 Jul 14

The believing in a God is acceptable. The Religion isn't as it has, and always will, create wars and decimation. Not in the name of the God you believe in but in the Religion you believe in. Hence fanaticism and deaths of thousands of men, women and children in the name of your God but through your Religion.

So God is right and man is an animal, if you believe in a creator.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…