Islam as a belief system is totally incompatible with modern 21st century western values!

Flak999 23:49 09 Aug 14

Controversial enough?

Now as an atheist I am frankly baffled by all of these strange and unusual gods that nominally sane and rational people believe in. However I think Islam sticks out as a totally bizarre, controlling, medieval and frankly frightening set of beliefs.

Those of us born and bred in these islands probably came into contact with the church of England at some point in our lives, or if not them, the Catholics or Methodists or Baptists. All of these frankly quaint sects believed in the same Christian god, their ministers (if they weren't paedophiles) dispensed more or less the same brand of love thy neighbour, do unto others as you would be done by, type of homespun philosophy.

They would turn up at the church fete, take tea with the WI, judge the face painting competition at the local school, you know, be genuine all round good chaps.

It was all quite charming really!

But then came immigration, with that surge of immigration came the new religions. What had been up until then strange and unusual minorities now began to broaden out into large ghettoised sections of our large towns and cities. Tower Hamlets and Southall in London, Birmingham, Luton and Bradford all began to take on a strange and vaguely frightening air.

Strange practices, unusual clothing, demands for sharia law! An alien tide of middle eastern and south east asian origin was demanding changes in our age old customs and practices. We Brits, generally welcoming and accepting as we are, tried to make the best of it, we changed our customs to accommodate the newcomers, we printed literature in all of their languages, we allowed their families and dependants to join them and avail themselves of our health service and benefits system.

Did they integrate and assimilate as previous generations of immigrants have done? Were they grateful to their host nation for providing them with a safe place to live?

No, instead they curse us for not being like them, for not embracing their medieval thirteenth century beliefs!

We forget, coming as we do from our educated 21st century backgrounds that in the middle east as in Africa, life is cheap, almost worthless.

We criticise Israel for bombing Gaza, but don't forget the Palestinians in Gaza elected Hamas whose avowed aim is the destruction of Israel and the death of all Jews. It matters not one jot to them that a thousand Palestinian children should be killed by Israeli bombs because they will be martyrs to the Islamic cause.

Indeed they welcome it!

Why should we in the west care if the Arabs want to slaughter one another? From Iraq with ISIS, to Syria with Assad, to Libya post Gaddafi, to Afghanistan with the corrupt Hamid Karzai, to all of these countries where life means less than nothing!

Why does it mean anything to us? Why should we intervene in their tribal blood letting? They are nothing but medieval savages, they hate us because we are unbelievers and would slaughter us all without compunction.

Let them kill each other, I say! Because whilst they are so engaged they are not killing us! The time will come when we in the west will have to take unprecedented action against the followers of this belief system, and that time is not far off.

We need to take off our blinkers, consign our PC rhetoric to the dustbin and prepare ourselves for the coming fight, a fight of western civilisation culture and enlightenment against eastern mysticism theocracy and barbarity, it will be a fight for the very existence of our culture!

Aitchbee 01:14 10 Aug 14

I agree with most of what you are saying.

Just because we all have a common ancestry and share a common pool of human genes that doesn't mean we have to share the same enviromental conditions or behaviours of others, especially if some of those conditions or behaviours are detremental to the well-being and survival of one group over another.

Forum Editor 08:27 10 Aug 14

"I think Islam sticks out as a totally bizarre, controlling, medieval and frankly frightening set of beliefs."

Really? I think you need to do some homework, instead or relying - as usual - on your plethora of prejudices.

Muslim beliefs are basically not that much different from those of many other religions. They believe that God is all powerful, they believe in angels, they believe that God's word was revealed to humanity by prophets, the first of whom was Adam. Other prophets included Noah, Abraham, Moses, and Jesus.

Muslims believe that things which happen in your life are preordained by God.

All of these beliefs are commonly encountered in other religions, including Christianity.

Where you've gone wrong is that you think the small radical Muslim minority is representative of all Muslims, and that the fanatic behaviour of these people gives a true picture of the practice of the faith. You couldn't be more wrong.

"But then came immigration, with that surge of immigration came the new religions. What had been up until then strange and unusual minorities now began to broaden out into large ghettoised sections of our large towns and cities."

Your description could very well be applied to waves of immigration that occurred on numerous occasions in our history. In Tudor and early Stuart times for instance, large numbers of Dutch and French immigrants arrived here. In those days, people from Holland and France, and their customs and beliefs seemed very strange to the English, and there were hundreds of incidents of violence and persecution. Our society changed in subtle ways, as the immigrants - and their children and chidrens' children became assimilated into the population. They adapted, and we adapted, and all was well in the end.

What delays and complicates this process is fear like yours - fear that 'things will never be the same again'. They will not be the same, but British society has never stood still. We have been adapting to change for centuries, and we will continue to do so. Dinosaurs like you will complain and gnash your teeth, but you will not stop the world becoming a smaller place. The vast majority of Muslims want what you want - the right to observe their faith and live their lives in peace and harmony with their neighbours. Not everyone can achieve that simple aim, but in this country it can be done.

Forum Editor 08:31 10 Aug 14

Aitchbee

"Just because we all have a common ancestry and share a common pool of human genes that doesn't mean we have to share the same enviromental conditions or behaviours of others, especially if some of those conditions or behaviours are detremental to the well-being and survival of one group over another."

I expect the indigenous people of places like Australia, Africa, and India felt like that when we came barging in, telling them they no longer ruled their own countries, and must observe our customs and laws or be punished.

spider9 08:54 10 Aug 14

Flak999

You wear your bigotted, racist views like badges of honour. Nobody will ever alter your preconceived ideas, so why bother?

BillSers 09:44 10 Aug 14

You got yourself broadsided there, mate. All it needs is another like-minded forum member to join in and you'll end up in the Zulu pincer-manoeuvre.

I went through a period years ago where I was searching for answers for our existence and looked at various religions. I was brought up a Christian but soon discarded that in early teens. My father was raised as a devote Catholic but when nuns used to beat him as a child he gave that up.

I thought the Hindu and Buddhist religions were quite nice philosophies but the only religion I disliked was the Islamic religion mostly because women are usually considered to be inferior to men. Me, I like the genders to be of equal importance.

It most certainly isn't a small minority whose Muslim beliefs are radical in ways our civilised society frowns on. Most Pakistan males are Sunni and are of this view and there's roughly 169,193,231 of them. Plus the opposing Muslim Shia number approximately 163,601,094 dotted around the globe who see females as second class citizens. And to add to the mixture is the fact both Islamic factions are hell-bent on killing each other.

In some Arabic countries they will stone a woman to death even if it is the male who committed the dreadful sin of adultery. That's where she's buried up to her shoulders and men stand around and gleefully chuck rocks at her until she eventually dies of shock and trauma. She was lured into the adulterous act because her husband, who has several wives, treated her like a slave and she was seeking a better life. Incidentally, an Arabs fifth wife is considered to be the slave wife so her destiny is always going to be hellish.

Then there is the honour killings of daughters by their own family members simply because because she wanted to marry a non-Muslim.

No, I think you asked a very pertinent question.

hastelloy 10:00 10 Aug 14

So was it right that the Spanish conquistadors (Catholics) executed any Andean people who refused to become Catholic?

Should we have left the Irish Catholics and Protestants to kill each other until one (probably Catholics as they are fewer in number) became extinct?

Or should we take a little time to get our facts right before we start spouting nonsense based on the behaviour of the minority?

FE is totally correct. This country would not be what it is without continual immigration. Not sure which race came first but it was well over 2,000 years ago. We have been changing ever since and long may we continue to do so.

Algerian peter ™ 10:10 10 Aug 14

Flak999

It is time to open your eyes and see what is around you. England, especially is moving from a dominant white Christian island to a mixed race country and there is nothing you can do to stop it. Dinasors like you will fade away in the next decade and the young more tolerant youngsters will live in harmony with tolerant mixed race English people of all faiths and those who have no religion. Do you not see how the young and those up to 40 easily mix with all colours and races. People are not shocked to see a white mother with mixed race children or a black mother with children of a different skintone. England in the next 50 years may have a black or Muslim prime minister. They could even be a a mixed race royal, as they was I think in the 18th century.

As for extremists in religious clothing, have not the British had problems with the IRA. They will always be a section of fanatics fighting for there believes.

Forum Editor 10:22 10 Aug 14

"the only religion I disliked was the Islamic religion mostly because women are usually considered to be inferior to men."

Yet in our society - the one Flak999 is so proud of - women were also considered to be inferior to men until quite recently. We had to introduce laws to stop it, and even those haven't worked - women are still being treated as inferior every day of the week.

I think what Flak999 means when he talks of "modern 21st century western values!" is his modern 21st century values - as long as everyone shares his values everything is fine. He is unable to accept that in the 21st century the world is a very different place, and it will continue to change; as it has throughout our history. What Flak999 wants is a Britain that hasn't existed for a long time, and will never exist again. He's a Luddite, and there are many like him - people who are unable or unwilling to grasp the reality of change in a modern world. They look for someone to blame for the cause of the decline they go on and on about, and at the moment it's Muslims.

The truth is, any decline has really been brought about by so-called indigenous British people. Too lazy and introverted to see the opportunities that a modern world presents, they spend their time ranting about foreigners.

spider9 10:33 10 Aug 14

BillSers

"No, I think you asked a very pertinent question."

What was that question?? The only question seems to be "Is that controversial enough?", which may well be a pertinent question in your own eyes, but simply requires a Yes/No answer.

Actually, Flak999 had issued a statement, followed by a prejudiced rant.

spider9 10:34 10 Aug 14

FE

Well said.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…