The iplayer

jtt 12:44 08 Jul 08

I'm wordering why the BBC had to develop their own player. What limitations did existing players have?

Forum Editor 14:32 08 Jul 08

why BMW started making cars.

jtt 14:45 08 Jul 08

"That's like wondering why BMW started making cars."

Good reply, but I'm still interested in finding out why they did it. I expect (and hope) that there is a very good reason.

tasslehoff burrfoot 20:03 08 Jul 08

I may be misunderstanding, but they haven't have they?

It's just an area of their website at which you can view their programs - nothing new (technology wise)

Flash(mp4 for some), RTMP have been around a while.

Si_L 11:00 16 Jul 08

I'm still wondering why they put their volume button to go up to 11?

Is it like the thing on This Is Spinal Tap :)

jtt 12:43 16 Jul 08

I think it's more than just a website, since when it was first launched, the BBC said that Linux and Vista would not be supported, which caused a bit of a stir. If it was just a website, I would have thought that it would work for Linux and Vista too. Presumably there is some sort of plugin.

tasslehoff burrfoot 22:27 16 Jul 08

That was DRM issues though wasn't it?

I'm still waiting for proper RTMP support in xbmc before I can conveniently use it :(

crosstrainer 22:30 16 Jul 08

Or like asking why people climb mountains...

Kemistri 22:43 16 Jul 08

No, it's just a website, albeit one of the active rather than passive variety. But, talking generally, if a website relies on a particular form of client-side technology that is not provided/supported by certain browsers or operating systems, then that obviously creates a limitation.

Forum Editor 22:57 16 Jul 08

works on Windows (including Vista), Macs, Linux, Nintendo Wii and iPhones as far as streaming content is concerned. At the moment you can download programmes using Windows XP and Vista. In the future there'll be versions of the download manager for other operating systems as well.

What made you think it didn't work with Vista?

The operating system limitations are the result of the complexities of the Digital Rights Management technology that's used. Development is taking place to enable all other operating systems to work with the downloader.

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:20 16 Jul 08

This is true FE, recently the BBC where advertising for python developers to work on a project which would lead me to believe that they stepping up the focus on non-windows OSes.

Which, of course, means whatever they come up with should be easily portable to the Xbox :)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5