IP Addresses.

cymbo 19:54 29 Sep 05

Could anyone enlighten me on the following?

I have always thought that a dynamic IP address was safer than a static one as it made it more difficult for hackers to target a particular computer.

Recently I saw an advert for an ISP with the Broadband tariffs,I forget which one, and it stated that you got a dynamic IP address. If you wanted a static IP address then there was an additional £4 charge.

If dynamic is safer why would anyone want to pay extra for a static IP address?

VoG II 20:25 29 Sep 05

Some web-based services recognise you as an authorised user by checking your IP address.

click here is one such.

Fortunately my blueyonder IP address is (practically) static so I don't keep having to get re-authorised.

The chances of getting deliberately targetted (hacked) on a home PC are zilch.

cymbo 20:48 29 Sep 05

Thanks for your reply. I can now understand the advantage of a static IP address to some people. Can I ask you how your IP address is practically static. I would have thought it would be either one or the other.

VoG II 20:53 29 Sep 05

In principle a blueyonder home account has a dynamic IP address. However, blueyonder very rarely change it - hence practically static. If it changed more frequently than every few months then I would have to fork out the extra for a fixed IP address.

cymbo 21:01 29 Sep 05

Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event as it happened | Apple October Event live blog: Apple unveils new MacBook Pro at…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Graeme Messer's exhibition aims to challenge fears and insecurities

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…