Invest In Vintage Mangles - They're A Dead Cert For The Future...

Quickbeam 11:14 AM 07 Mar 13

Have you seen the price of mangles lately?

I was just filling up at the garage and was chatting to the hand car wash man commenting that business looked good as he had quite a queue waiting. Apparently his mangle that he uses to wring out his wash leathers broke which is causing quite a delay in drying cars off quickly. But he can't just get one from a scrap dealer now, he's got a couple of ebay bids running and can't get one locally until tomorrow at the earliest.

Bing.alau 11:16 AM 07 Mar 13

Well I'm not lending him mine.

Aitchbee 12:25 PM 07 Mar 13

We used to have a 2-tier mangle system which was clamped onto two vertical integrated cast-iron brackets which divided the two kitchen 'Belfast' sinks, one deeper than the other one, so newly hand-washed clothes could be transferred from one sink to the other one [thru' the mangle] then popped up on to a pulley for drying out.

We didn't have a washing machine in them days [late 50's].

I sometimes hand wash my big duvet in the bath, 'cos it doesn't fit into the 6kg max-load washing machine ... it's like 'wrestling with a giant anaconda skake' to squeeze out the water ... a giant mangle would be handy for this procedure!

Quickbeam 12:33 PM 07 Mar 13

It was quite common for youngish kids up to the early '60s to have a school night bath by standing in the Belfast sink.

I suppose that nowadays you'd be accused of child abuse if you subjected them to standing naked in front of the kitchen window for a full body wash!

And then there's the H&S risk of getting webbed feet if the mangle isn't safely stowed away.

onthelimit1 15:04 PM 07 Mar 13

Takes me back to the (I think) Cruel Sea novel - quote 'biggest laugh since Ma caught her tits in the mangle'.

Happy days!

spuds 17:09 PM 07 Mar 13

Next we will be talking about 'dolly-tubs' and zinc baths. One cold water tap and one toilet for four or more families in the backyard!.

But the mangle idea seems to be catching on at 'hand-wash' forecourts. Most in my area now use this idea. Must be the Eastern European grapevine, when someone threw and old mangle in with a load of old clothes,which these people also seem to collect.

Woolwell 17:31 PM 07 Mar 13

My mother had an Acme mangle which stood on its own stand.

Acme was around long before the Roadrunner.

csqwared 18:51 PM 07 Mar 13

Gosh Spuds

"One cold water tap and one toilet for four or more families in the backyard!."

You were lucky, we had t' catch t'drips off't gutter for a wash, and toilet??..........

spuds 19:03 PM 07 Mar 13

csqwared- Your real name is not Monty Python by chance ;o)

VCR97 19:19 PM 07 Mar 13

Someone was advertising in my local paper for dolly tubs "with no dents". I think that he was offering £25.

Bing.alau 19:50 PM 07 Mar 13

I think all the old washboards were snapped up by Skiffle Groups back in the fifties and sixties.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification: OP2 confirmed in VR product launch - full OnePlus…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things