Intransigence

morddwyd 10:41 31 Oct 09

What do the NCB, British Leyland, British Steel, British Rail and the Royal Mail have in common?

Unions and management locked in an unmoving dispute, and all, except one, extinct in their original form.

lotvic 10:44 31 Oct 09

Which one is still in original form?

Grey Goo 11:03 31 Oct 09

When the "we have always done it this way" mob get threatened they go on strike.

morddwyd 11:07 31 Oct 09

You may be right, but I'm always suspicious of a side which insists on pre-conditions before independent arbitration.

peter99co 11:51 31 Oct 09

Wait till the train hits the buffers!

The public will not use a postal system that does not deliver the goods.

Forum Editor 12:12 31 Oct 09

who has made alternative arrangements for the delivery of important business documents? I very much doubt it.

Meanwhile people seem to be getting on with life. One of my daughters had a birthday a few days ago, and we didn't send her a card - we called her and explained that because of the postal strikes etc.... She said not to worry - most of her friends had said the same. We sent flowers instead, so a florist gained business, and Royal Mail lost some. I suspect that much the same thing is being repeated millions of times, all over the country. We're realising that perhaps we can cope pretty well without post coming through the door.

Cymro. 12:47 31 Oct 09

That was very wise of him but I doubt if everyone will have done so. There may well be some small businesses who for whatever reason can`t make other arrangements.

As for morddwyds original comment, it is only a matter of time before the Royal mail go the same way as the others he mentions.

The postmen/women themselves they must at least think that they have a good case if only as far as their fears about their pension. It is no small matter for someone to vote for a strike especially with Christmas coming up.

Awshum 13:09 31 Oct 09

"It is no small matter for someone to vote for a strike especially with Christmas coming up."

Christmas is the time of year that's perfect for a Postal strike.

Cymro. 13:45 31 Oct 09

Yes very true but still rather them than me.

Grey Goo 19:06 31 Oct 09

When Royal Mail finally disappears up it's own letterbox, they can have another nice round of strikes to celebrate the event.

OTT_Buzzard 20:17 31 Oct 09

The Royal Mail will lose their monopoly over final mile delivery soon enough. Their survival after that will depend on Union realism.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…