Internet Stalking

ella33 20:41 07 Jun 10

Hopefully this won't considered pointless discussion...or maybe it would be good news if it was.

Following on from the thread about Internet Spying by large companies, seeking feedback, this reminded me that I keep hearing about Internet Stalking. I don't think this is necessarily meaning looking for bank card numbers but maybe includes this.

How far can someone really stalk someone on the internet? On facebook, it seems quite normal to me to look at friends' status ages from time to time. There are few status pages you are free to look at without befriending someone, so you can't really stalk there.

If you particularly like someone's answers on a forum, there are ways of finding them but this doesn't seem wrong. Most people have different names on different forums, so does anyone know what it is that is causing the problem? What else can people see without being hackers?

lotvic 21:19 07 Jun 10

Not a nice thing to do
click here "Cyberstalking is the use of the Internet or other electronic means to stalk or harass an individual, a group of individuals, or an organization. It may include false accusations, monitoring, making threats, identity theft, damage to data or equipment, the solicitation of minors for sex, or gathering information in order to harass. The definition of "harassment" must meet the criterion that a reasonable person, in possession of the same information, would regard it as sufficient to cause another reasonable person distress"

ella33 23:54 07 Jun 10

So it is harrassment and obsessional to from th sounds of things, so it really is a huge problem, far more than looking at facebook status. It is very difficult to prove an ordinary stalker but I wonder if it might be easier to catch them if they are using special equipment. If I had realised the word was cyberstalking I expect I could have found out. Thank you for that Lotvic

wiz-king 05:23 08 Jun 10

Hard to define stalking, is putting a persons name into facebook, 192 or google stalking? Or do you have to go as far a lotvic's link.

morddwyd 08:49 08 Jun 10

"use of the Internet or other electronic means to stalk or harass an individual, a group of individuals"

GANDALF <|:-)>and fourm member take note! lol

ella33 09:32 08 Jun 10

(I know I ticked it but wanted to reply anyway)

Not sure what 192 is.....

Google and facebook both do searches of course, I guess it depends why a person is doing the search, though there is no way of checking that.

I used to use google to get onto a forum that I used most days but after a while google refused to do the search as it recognised the computer and questioned spying, although I was using the forum (and still do) perfectly normally. It did however suggest that I could go into internet options and reset cookies, which I did. It was showing mee how to stalk, without getting caught, or so it seems. I now go to that forum through a favourites link... the problem with resetting cookies is that you can't find any thing on the "frequently visited" search bar either!

What I was thinking of was obbessive types of people really, who are just watching someone's movements for no real reason but I guess with all the other harrassment and illegal activity around, that one might be difficult or expensive to find out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced