Internet shopping - love it or hate it?

Pineman100 15:11 09 Dec 08

According to the most recent figures from the British Retail Consortium, the one area of retailing that continues to show strong growth is internet shopping.

Superficially, it's a great idea. With just a few clicks, you buy what you want in the comfort of your own home. No hacking round the shops, no crowds, no queuing, and you get competitive prices.

But then comes the downside - the delivery. :o(

How many times have you waited at home for a delivery that hasn't arrived - only to be told that the delivery driver "attempted a delivery" at some minutely specified time, but couldn't get an answer when he knocked?

Yesterday, I was expecting a delivery from a major electrical equipment retailer "between 07.00 and 19.00" (yup, a 12-hour slot - very convenient!). My wife and I sat at home all day without playing the radio or the TV, in case we didn't hear the knock. And we have a dog that barks if a leaf falls in the next county.

Nothing. Nix. Nada. Rien.

But on the phone this morning, we were told that the driver "attempted a delivery at 19.01".

I'm convinced that some drivers just lie. It gets a bit late, so they abandon their last deliveries and push off home.

Grrrrr!

Si_L 15:16 09 Dec 08

Not a problem for me really. I usually specify for it to be left with a neighbour if there is no answer, but in a family of 6, someone is usually home.

If not, it ends up at the depot, which is a 10 minute walk from my house.

Pineman100 15:22 09 Dec 08

The problem is that some logisitics companies won't deliver unless the recipient is at home to sign for the package.

And, as I said above, it doesn't make any difference how many people are at home if the driver just doesn't bother to make the delivery!

Chegs ®™ 15:24 09 Dec 08

I too used to just pop to the depot (5 mins walk into town)when finding the "attempted delivery" card,but I'm starting to think that the suppliers get some kind of perverse pleasure from these failed deliveries because the last parcel went back to the couriers depot & its 45 miles from my home.

interzone55 15:31 09 Dec 08

I suppose I'm really lucky, I just get things delivered to work, then one of the warehouse goods in chaps just brings the stuff straight to my desk, can't beat that for service, and no courier can say no one was home because the goods in department is open from 6am to 8pm.

If I'm expecting something really big - like a fridge or something, then my Father-in-law comes round to wait for the delivery...

al7478 16:42 09 Dec 08

Problems do happen - including, i believe, dishonesty on behalf of the delivery people, or neighbours who the item is wrongly delivered to (just once) - but such problems are rare and small enough not to be a real problem, all things considered.

sunnystaines 16:47 09 Dec 08

prefer to speak with someone either phone or in person

realist 16:48 09 Dec 08

TNT wouldn't deliver a large and heavy garden shredder to my address as (they said) our road was "too bumpy".
They have a fancy new eco-friendly battery powered delivery truck and I suspect were concerned it might get damaged (the truck not the shredder).
After I made my views known, they sub-contracted a local taxi firm to deliver it!

al7478 17:01 09 Dec 08

i like that too, but most companies have someone you can call.

Pineman100 17:09 09 Dec 08

Well, my delivery van has just arrived, and I'm considerably mollified. The driver was a very attractive girl!

She apologised profusely for yesterday's non-arrival and explained that she'd called at another house up the road, that has a very similar name to ours, where there was nobody at home. I smiled nicely and told her not to worry.

I wonder what my reaction would have been if the driver had been hairy-a***d male.

I'm such a hypocrite - and a pushover!

interzone55 17:11 09 Dec 08

That's exactly why they send the girl...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…