Internet Security/AntiVirus/Anti-Spyware Confused.

royalflush 19:48 27 May 07

just looking to renew my anti virus & thought its pretty simple isnt it BUT was kinda dumbfounded by the different protection offered..?

whilst one offers you "comprehensively safeguards your computer/s, your files and your identity. Email, shop, share pictures, bank, and instant message, confident you’re safe from malicious attacks and time-consuming interruptions"

the other offers you "personal files and privacy from malicious attacks"

then to get more confused theres "spyware detection and removal solution, designed especially for home users,features solid detection capabilities to help identify and halt attacks before they can cause unrecoverable damage"

Confused..?? i was
so if you wanted to be totaly secure would it mean buying all three or at least two of the products offered...?

And lastly why cant companies offer all three of these protections instead of splitting them is this a finacial issue...??
whats the best antivirus..??
click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 27 May 07

You need:

A firewall
An antivirus program
and as much antispyware as you wish

You can either buy a suite containing all three or get separate programs for each.

Easiest is buy a suite such as Norton etc.
You will pay for the privilege and keep on paying an annual subscription but you get support.

Harder is to buy separate packages that will actually work with each other.Buying means you get support.

Or you can download separate packages FREE but not get any support. Other than what we can give in the Helproom.

Many people on the forum have their personal favourites.

My FREE recommendations are:

Firewall - ZOnealarm
Antivirus - AVAST
Antispyware - SpywareBlaster as a blocker
Windows defender as a realtime scanner
AdAware as a backup scanner

All work well with each other and do not take up many resources.

I will provide links if you want them.

royalflush 20:25 27 May 07

thats a great help i will look now :-) ty

Jak_1 20:26 27 May 07

Also Sygate firewall, free and AVG antivirus, free work well too.
The beauty of AVG is that you can set it to get updates daily if there are any.

Both Zonealarm and Sygate firewalls work as well as any paid for firewalls. AVG and avast antivirus work just as well as any paid for antivirus.

Have s many antispy progs as you wish. I use Ad-Aware, Spybot, Ewido.

Forget windows firewall.

georgemac © 08:26 28 May 07

Everything I use is free and this is what I install on friends PC's and so far we are mainly trouble free.

Anti Virus - AVG free

Spyware, install spywareblaster and keep it updated, this prevents spyware infection. I use spybot search and destroy to scan for spyware, sometimes use adaware free edition, and use windows defender which is free from Microsoft

Firewall - use the xp one, this is sufficient for me, we go out via a router anyway which has a hardware firewall.

I also use a hosts file to prevent the PC accessing sites which may have nasties click here there's no place like 127.0.0.1

If you don't visit dodgy sites your pc will remain infection free, I am sure some of my friends PC's pick up a lot from things like games cheats sites.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…