Is the internet integral to your home life?

VoG II 19:44 02 Dec 04

"Broadband is moving the perception of the internet as a piece of technology to an integral part of home life in the UK" click here

Yep, I reckon it is here though I don't get up in the middle of the night to surf (yet!).

spikeychris 19:53 02 Dec 04

This forum and probably lost of others represent a cross section of the world. However do they represent the real world? More people in the UK now use the net, such as email but they don't use it as much as one or two here. I do check my mail before breakfast but I have never got out of bed at night and switched on a computer. The net is integral to my life.

Technotiger 20:13 02 Dec 04

Having family and friends overseas the Internet has become an integral part of my life, so yes,
I do sometimes get up in the middle of the night to switch on. Also, being retired and gettin' on a bit (70 next month) the internet gives me an interest and keeps me company, like many oldies I live alone. I have many friends in my age-bracket also with pc's and the internet, keeps us all in touch and helps keep the old grey-matter sloppin' around instead of siezing-up. In addition to which, although I am certainly no expert, I find that there is the odd ocassion when I can help-out, within this forum for instance, others who have even less knowledge than myself - there is always someone who is a 'newbie' looking for assistance and makes, for me anyway, that 'feel-good' feeling that we all like to have. Anyway, keeps me off the street corners. lol

Sir Radfordin 21:02 02 Dec 04

With broadband the internet is much more part of my life than dial up ever was. Things like checking cinema times, TV guide, maps, route planning etc are all done online whereas with dial up it wouldn't have been worth the hassle to dial up and find the info. I know that in 5 minutes (at the most) I can get my hands on pretty much any piece of information I need to.

When I was at Uni the internet was just a huge book. Google was the index page and places like Science Direct saved a trip to the libary everytime I wanted to read an interesting journal article.

I don't see the Internet as something seperate I see it as an extension of an encylopedia or a book. It is where all the things I will ever need to know are kept.

I gave up checking my emails before work when I realised I could have an extra 10 minutes in bed. My computer is however on and ready for me to use by the time I get home (sad isn't it?)

Have managed 1 month without broadband in the 3 years that I have had it. After a roof over my head and food on the plate it would come next. So yes, it is an integral part of my life.

niknax 21:38 02 Dec 04

'I don't see the Internet as something seperate I see it as an extension of an encylopedia or a book. It is where all the things I will ever need to know are kept.'

i totally agree, and it saves me money in all the library fines!! i have pc's going from 8.30 to midnight every day, so yes it is an integral part of my life........and the fact i run my own sign & screenprinting business!!

Nik

stalion 21:38 02 Dec 04

No, I am only on the internet everyday on this forum.;o))

Djohn 21:50 02 Dec 04

Yep! It is for me, often get up during the night and log back on, that is if I've gone to bed in the first place.

watchful 22:26 02 Dec 04

Nope! but I do get up early to log on just to see my mail and it's an interest more than a necessity.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 22:52 02 Dec 04

Sometimes breakfast comes round and I have still been on-line, so I guess the answer is yes. But I am catching up a lot on several years without a PC.

I am certainly beginning to notice the regular postees to this forum.

Perhaps now is a good time to retire ready for work tomorrow. ZZzzzzzzz ..

JAN-BOY 22:55 02 Dec 04

I thought all very old gentlemen got up in the night.(lol)

Forum Editor 23:07 02 Dec 04

by working on and with the internet, and it's hard to imagine how I would get along without it now. Much of what I do is based in South-East Asia and (lately) Australia, and I am often working late into the night on servers in Hong Kong and Sydney from my desk in London. There are lots of people like me, and lots of people who have come to rely on the internet for different reasons - contact with other people for instance.

I know of at least three people who are living alone and are lonely - their contact with others is solely via their computers. These people frequent chat rooms and forums in a big way, and derive comfort from the feeling that they have a circle of internet 'friends'. There are some who might find this a rather sad kind of existence but it's worth remembering that such people are often the victims of circumstances which are complex, and not always entirely within their control. Throughout the world there must be millions like this, and to them the internet is a lifeline of sorts.

Many businesses have come to rely on the internet as a means of communication, both with other businesses, and with staff working remotely - email is their lifeblood, and many offices would now find it very hard to function without internet access.

E-commerce is now a huge industry, and the rate of growth has been nothing short of phenomenal. In the UK alone, Internet purchases rose by 113 per cent, from £18.7bn in 2002 to £39.9bn in 2003. Of that total, £11.4 billion was sales to private households - a huge increase on the £6.4 billion 2002 figure.

Whatever we as individuals might think, the internet has undoubtedly become an integral part of our society, and it's really happened in the last ten years or so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…