The Internet Goes Down

Crosstrainer2 10:50 AM 01 Sep 11
Answered

Only a temporary VM outage in my area, all fixed almost before I'd phoned them to report it. Got me thinking of just how much a part of life, and just how dependent I am on it.

All my shopping, from food to well the nice new iPad stand that arrived this morning banking, most communication all relying on that fibre optic connection, and a bunch of servers.

Does pay as you go dialup still exist? I think I might invest in a USB 56k modem in order to have a stand-by probably won't happen again, but you never know.

Makes me wonder what I'd do if there was no affordable connection.

Quickbeam 11:19 AM 01 Sep 11

I've been getting a few of those lately form VM, any idea why?

Quickbeam 11:21 AM 01 Sep 11

I have a Vodafone usb BB dongle for emergency and away from home use.

interzone55 11:28 AM 01 Sep 11

Tesco still offers dial-up internet access

https://register.tesco.net/productpicker/welcome?submit.x=0&submit.y=0

You can usually find plenty of old 56k modems at car boot sales

cycoze 11:45 AM 01 Sep 11

Just a couple of weeks ago I popped round to see someone and order them BB over their dialup connection, I forgot just how slow it was compared to a 2mb BB connection.

A lot of people would freak if they lost the Internet, it plays such a huge part in our lives today.

woodchip 11:47 AM 01 Sep 11

My HP Laptop as Ethernet Socket and Dial Up Socket plus WiFi

Autoschediastic 12:21 PM 01 Sep 11

Im with VM got their 50meg deal and ive been having connection issues on games and what not, i fully agree with Crosstrainer2 when the net does go down its incredible how isolated we become without it, the internet has become a global phenomenon to almost everyone that uses it...

Crosstrainer2 12:23 PM 01 Sep 11

Quickbeam

I think they may be upgrading servers, but this was an outage at Thier end, it's normally reliable, but I think I will get modem. I do of course have my data plan for my iPhone, so I wasn't internetless.....A new word? Lol.

lotvic 12:29 PM 01 Sep 11
Answer

My standby dial up is http://emergencyinternet.com/ it's just pay as you go 0845 rate on your phone bill

Crosstrainer2 14:16 PM 01 Sep 11

lotvic

Perfect....Just in case!

lucky1 15:36 PM 01 Sep 11

Thanks for that link lotvic. Appreciated.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites