internet addiction

sunny staines 09:55 23 Mar 08

click here

i'm off to the dr's for treatment, wife been saying this for ages, i blame the pca forum for the addiction

Quickbeam 10:04 23 Mar 08

because if someone knocked on your door to try and sell you a set of encyclopedias that contained all the knowledge of the known universe... you'd tell them where to stuff it straight away :)

Forum Editor 10:24 23 Mar 08

is now a serious public health issue that should be officially recognised as a clinical disorder, according to a leading psychiatrist."

It's a funny old world. Much the same thing was said about TV viewing, back in the 1950's. Somehow the human race survived - prospered even - and here we are, in the twenty-first century, with a whole new set of loopy theorists ready to make us afraid of becoming addicted to the internet.

The truth is that those with addictive personalities will get hooked on all kinds of things, from sex to driving to fishing to collecting sauce bottle labels. The rest of us will sail through, safe from suffering withdrawal symptoms from our internet habit each time we have a long weekend in Frinton.

belfman 12:06 23 Mar 08

Main Components:

"Excessive use, often associated with a loss of sense of time or a neglect of basic drives;"

I use my systems a lot and use all my drives regularly. I can't see my E drive running off for counselling due to neglect or abandonment. As for time, we'll there's a clock in the corner and it means I can't lose track of it.

"· Withdrawal, including feelings of anger, tension and/or depression when the computer is inaccessible;"

Erm, no not unless I really need to do some work or research something.

"· The need for better computers, more software, or more hours of use;"

"Oh no sign me upto the nearest Hospital I upgraded a machine last month, inc software - I need therapy. Especially as I did it to improve speed & efficiency.

"· Negative repercussions, including arguments, lying, poor achievement, social isolation and fatigue."

I can honestly I say I've never told my computers a lie, except of course when reading EULAs but that's only a wee fib ;) I might have argued with it but when we work tgether we achieve lots. At the end of it all we might be both tired so the Computer gets shutdown and I do something else.

anskyber 12:17 23 Mar 08

While I do spend a few hours a day on the internet, much of it here, when I go on holiday I leave it all behind.

Some things are less convenient, like checking bank statements but it's not the end of the world.

The FE has it about right for me, obsessive people will behave obsessively . The internet has simply offered yet another route to display such behaviour.

belfman 12:25 23 Mar 08

Seriously, maybe the amount of people displaying addictive/obsessive traits are increasing?

Bingalau 12:26 23 Mar 08

Anybody got any swaps? I've got a plethora of HP sauce labels here. I'm looking for a "Daddies".

Forum Editor 12:29 23 Mar 08

Please don't let my wife hear you say that. Because of the way I earn my living I'm afraid I'm one of those people who can't 'leave it all behind', no matter where I am, or what I'm doing.

Many's the time I've seen the odd looks on the faces of people who can't understand why I'm leaving an idyllic tropical beach to check my email. Fortunately for me there are usually a few others in the hotel doing the same thing, and although we don't talk about it we occasionally share a knowing look across the restaurant.

The extent to which the internet has spread itself across the planet has often amazed me. I've edited this forum from some pretty remote spots in my time, including a private island in the Indian ocean and a primate research facility deep in the Nigerian interior - both via satellite uplink. Perversely, one of the most difficult places to connect has been a rented cottage in a small Suffolk seaside town - I was surrounded by secured wireless networks, but the cottage has no landline, and the only hotspot is in one of the hotels at the other end of town.

I can see the day when the whole country is covered with PAYG or free wireless computer access networks, rather like the mobile phone access that's available now.

Forum Editor 12:31 23 Mar 08

Go for a long country walk, and cross over the road if you spot a grocery shop.

Forum Editor 12:34 23 Mar 08

"maybe the amount of people displaying addictive/obsessive traits are increasing?"

I doubt it - take a look at the gambling industry, read about stamp collectors and train-spotters, and research the history of obsessive behaviour.......nothing's changed, it's just that another possibility for obsessing has opened up.

lisa02 12:53 23 Mar 08

Obsessive behaviour my other half displays characteristics of someone with OCD but he dismisses it when I tell him.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now