Internet access. A Human Right???

canarieslover 10:06 08 Mar 10

Although I would not like to lose my internet access I could live without it much more easily than losing my car. As car ownership is not considered a Human Right then why should the internet be. I would consider both to be a personal choice. What do other forum members think?
click here

interzone55 10:30 08 Mar 10

I've been internet free at home for just over a week, due to a house move where there is no phone line at present.

I'm finding that I have more time to do other jobs when there are no forums to read, or random Wikipedia entries to read and correct.

But also it's amazing how much you rely on the net, like bank accounts, bill payments etc. I'm having to fit all this into my breaks at work - like now.

There is a point to the story though, as access to the internet in a largely unfiltered format (ie not in China) gives the users access to a wealth of knowledge, like basic health information. Stuff they would have to walk miles to the city library to access previously.

Did you watch Dr Aleks Krotoski's recent BBC2 program The Virtual Revolution? She covered stuff like this in the first program...

oresome 11:52 08 Mar 10

Let's get real.........Drinking water, food and basic shelter I'll go along with, but internet access??

Cymro. 12:17 08 Mar 10

I think that some people (probably a few on this forum) take computing and so Internet access much too seriously. Granted it may be important for some who may rely on it to make their living or as their only means of accessing the outside world, but surely for most people it is not a basic human right.

In fact for most it is just a hobby a form of entertainment a means of passing away a few idle hours. Important yes but surely not essential well not yet anyway.

Colin 13:10 08 Mar 10

Another non story. If you ask people if anything should be a human right they more than likely will say yes. 27,000 people, though a large number in itself, is hardy representative of the world's population. Does this mean it should be a right to have a land line or mobile phone to access the internet? Who pays?

interzone55 13:56 08 Mar 10

"Who pays?"

As Google have found out, it's actually very profitable providing "free at the point of use" services, using a simple text ad-funded method.

In the US they're about to trial a fibre to the home network, which will be entirely ad funded, they've also set-up several city wide wi-fi networks using the same funding model.

I know the ad revenue for a system in some remote part of Africa will not be as lucrative as a US city right away, but there's no telling whether it will be long term unless someone with deep pockets takes a punt...

Matt Egan 16:16 08 Mar 10

is how many of the respondents are happy for the Government to regulate who gets online, and what they can do there:

click here

More of a job for FE, if you ask me...

Quickbeam 16:46 08 Mar 10

Would the FE really be interested in regulating millions of web users, what with all the grief he gets from the few hundred PCA members...?

Forum Editor 18:25 08 Mar 10

to learn that 55% of British people think the government should regulate the internet - I would have thought that's the last thing we want.

The internet is one of the wonders of civilisation, a unique technology that has transformed the way that large areas of the world communicate and do business. We have a chance to make it into something that is capable of working perfectly well with an absolute minimum of regulation, provided governments can agree on some guiding principles. We need to be able to combat internet crime at an international level, and we're a long way from have the degree of cooperation between police services that we need.

"Would the FE really be interested in regulating millions of web users"?

I await the call, but I'll not hold my breath.

james55 20:10 08 Mar 10

"I'm amazed
to learn that 55% of British people think the government should regulate the internet - I would have thought that's the last thing we want."

Have to agree FE we don't want to end up like China, freedom to have one's say is important.

Jim.

OTT_B 21:14 08 Mar 10

Personally I think the internet should have more regulation, particularly in public discussion forums (this forum is, of course, the benchmark of well regualted!).

As a 'current events test' I put "Jon Venables location" into Google. There is enough information there, that someone with sufficient will could have located him prior to his reincarceration. Frankly, some of the pages that came up were frightening with people openly saying that they would cause harm if he was located.

That is reason enough to have more regulation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5