Interesting court ruling re. music file sharing

rmcqua 13:30 27 Jan 06
  GANDALF <|:-)> 13:45 27 Jan 06

'Out of 139 cases brought by the BPI against illegal downloaders over the past 15 months, some 90 have agreed to settle out of court, paying an average of £2,500 in costs'...........

G

Monument 14:10 27 Jan 06

It is unclear if the two prosecuted and the 90 who paid up were uploaders or downloaders.

The beginning of the article seems to suggest they were downloaders bujt the example given later is that of an uploader.

GANDALF <|:-)> 14:18 27 Jan 06

Both are illegal.

G

Forum Editor 14:32 27 Jan 06

in any detail knew that this was going to happen, and now it has.These prosecutions will not be the last.

Monument 14:43 27 Jan 06

I know both are illegal but it would of interest to know exactly who the BPI have in their sights. I believe it is uploaders but the article does not make this clear.

Chegs ®™ 14:58 27 Jan 06

We had a bloke here in W Cumbria who was creating DVD's/CD's and selling them to workmates was sentenced to 15mths suspended last year and then brought back to court for an "Assets Hearing" where he was ordered to cough up £59,000 which meant he had to sell one of his houses to clear the debt within the court ordered time. click here

Forum Editor 15:49 27 Jan 06

Whether you upload or download you are breaking the law if the files are copyright-protected, and you don't pay a licence fee.

People who download are just as guilty as those who upload, and anyway, in the vast majority of P2P cases downloaders are uploaders too.

Chegs ®™ 16:43 27 Jan 06

click here

Related story re:iTunes

metabolee 00:08 28 Jan 06

Yes this is illegal but we the British public have been getting ripped off for many years now in paying over the score for CDs/DVDs i feel the Music/Film industry only have themselves to blame for the amount of piracy that is going on at present??? ie Woolworths £15.99 for a Portishead album that has been on the go for 8yrs??

Monument 07:16 28 Jan 06

I am perfectly aware uploading and downloading is illegal and that if someone does one they probably do the other. All I wanted to establish was what the people convicted in this case were doing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…