Interested in trying Linux ?

ashdav 00:45 17 Apr 07

I've noted an increase in the posts from people interested in using Linux in its various forms over the last couple of months.
I came across this click here which may be of use to potential new users that are daunted by a different OS.
The car/bike analogy puts it in perspective.

The Brigadier 09:18 17 Apr 07

Already have it.
No more paying vast amounts to Microsoft!!

Teaboy 18:09 17 Apr 07

I was particularly impressed by the Lego analogy. A well-reasoned article.

wolfie3000 22:56 17 Apr 07

Iv used different versions of linux and hated them all.

I couldnt fathom out anything on it, like even setting the screen reolution,

Linux im affraid didnt impress me at all,

I know what runs on windows xp and the fact that all my games and other software work great with no problems on xp makes it my choice of operating system.

I tend to if i have a bad experience with any hardware or software never use it again,
As many regulars will know,

Routers, Vista, unbuntu, ftp, ect...........

LastChip 00:08 18 Apr 07

It really explains a few of the differences between the MS and Linux concepts. It also repeats what I've been saying for some time, that you have to be prepared to learn something new. There's no way around this. Linux IS different; it's as simple as that.

Having said that, I found my local Linux user group recently and attended my first meeting a few weeks ago. I was amazed at how friendly and welcoming they were to me. Although I have developed a basic knowledge, these chaps were not only able, but delighted to share their knowledge with me. I've since been back again, and it looks like being a regular visit for me in the months to come. This is the whole point, it IS all about sharing.

I also found interesting, the recent PCA Visa poll, which showed 8% (about 220 people) of the respondents claiming not to use a MS Windows system. While not being a mind blowing number and keeping in mind, some of those may be MAC users or indeed Solaris, BSD or anything else, it was still quite a surprise to me there were so many.

Forum Editor 00:15 18 Apr 07

for about 16 years, and during that time it has captured around 3% of the desktop computer market. It has done far better in the server market sector, where it runs on about 24% of all servers.

As far as home computer users are concerned Linux simply hasn't made any appreciable inroad into the market, and despite what some people say to the contrary I can't see any signs of it doing so.

The server market is a rather different story, but Microsoft still has the Lion's share of the business. I'm a big fan of Linux on a server, but as far as desktops are concerned, Microsoft gets my vote every time. To quote the article in your link:

"Don’t assume that being a knowledgeable Windows user means you’re a knowledgeable Linux user: When you first start with Linux, you are a novice."

What's the point of that?

LastChip 00:24 18 Apr 07

In the case of Vista Ultimate, about £370.00p per computer!

Bandy 01:43 18 Apr 07

Over recent months I've put Ubuntu linux on computers for about 10 pensioner friends and about six of their grandchildren.

All are using it quite happily, updating their systems and adding new programs as and when required, and all are new users.

I believe that point about being a new user is important in that they don't bring any baggage with them.

Many years ago I was taught that most people only learn to use their first programme properly and that their knowledge of others follows on and is developed from that first one. Over the years I've found it to be basically true for most people I meet.

Having used windows in various forms I still find myself having trouble with Linux at various times (and I'm no expert) because I'm still thinking in terms of windows and not Linux.

The pensioners and youngsters I've been helping don't have that problem. Most quite like the way that Ubuntu works and does everything that they want to do, and at a price that they can afford. They have all been very surprised at the number of free programmes that are available to satisfy their needs.

It is certainly more difficult when the requirements of the desktop become more demanding, and when there is a necessity to use a particular programme designed for windows that won't work on linux, however I'm told that Vista also has problems not running some programmes and finding some drivers unobtainable.

For me the biggest problem with linux is that most people haven't heard of it, or that its geeky reputation frightens them off it.

Bandy 01:48 18 Apr 07

sorry, missed a bit off the last sentence i.e. ............or they are unwilling, for whatever reason, to put in the effort to learn.

Teaboy 17:19 18 Apr 07

I take up Bandy's last point. With a little dig (respectfully) at Forum Editor. For me the effort to learn a new operating system isn't worth while, I'm a home user which limits the use I have for a computer, and window came from the supplier of my computer with Windows installed so why bother with anything else? I take the points made by FE regarding the percentage of computers running windows to be factually true,but isn't the vast majority of computers installed with windows, by the manufacturers, by contract to Bill? It seems that he got in first, and works hard to keep windows ahead. Good American business method.

LastChip 18:48 18 Apr 07

Your point is very valid.

I was reading recently about an American school that had transferred everything over to Linux.

When questioned about how people took to the "new" system, the answer went something like this:

The administrators and teachers required some training in order to use the system effectively, but the students just sat in front of the machines and used them.

This suggests that children when faced with something new on a computer, will simply click here and there, experiment and find ways to make the machine do what they want. They don't have twenty years worth of background influencing the way they think. They will work (unwittingly) in peer groups, just by talking about what they did and how they achieved it. The more able, will be effectively teaching the less informed kids and they all learn together. When something is new, it can also create an excitement among the pupils and they want to be the first to know how to use the system effectively.

So yes; no baggage=happy people.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…