Intensive Farming

morddwyd 16:51 PM 02 Sep 12

Two weeks ago the field opposite was growing a cereal crop.

A week ago it had been combined, the straw was baled and being collected.

Today, having been ploughed and drilled, the field opposite is growing a cereal crop.

It’s been like that, with minor variations in dates for the last twenty years.

Twenty years ago, in the field opposite, we used to see skylarks, partridges, golden plovers, lapwings, curlews, geese, herons, and one year even a peregrine.

Today we don’t even see gulls following the plough.

I wonder if there is a connection?

canarieslover 17:27 PM 02 Sep 12

Wonder no longer!! There is almost certainly a connection but it is the price we are making wildlife pay so that we can feed all the mouths on this island.

john bunyan 17:41 PM 02 Sep 12

I agree with canarieslover , look at Scotland's population growth :

Population. The world population growth is, IMHO, the cause of most of such problems (man's contribution to global warming, etc.) The question is, how to control it?

wee eddie 20:09 PM 02 Sep 12

It's what other people do that is causing the problem!

lotvic 20:12 PM 02 Sep 12

defra figures and chart Wild Bird Populations in UK, 1970-2010 ClickHere The decline is quite marked.

morddwyd 22:36 PM 02 Sep 12

" how to control it?"

That's easy.

You simply genetically modify the cereal crops so that they cause sterility in the human male.

WhiteTruckMan 23:59 PM 02 Sep 12

I don't think there would be as much need for intensive farming if there wasnt so much waste in the food supply chain between producer and consumer.

WTM

Pine Man 09:23 AM 03 Sep 12

so much waste in the food supply chain between producer and consumer.

The consumer is by far the worst when it comes to waste!

oresome 11:02 AM 03 Sep 12

You simply genetically modify the cereal crops so that they cause sterility in the human male.

Sterility in the human male is already occuring.

Google sperm count and you will find that Western men are suffering an infertility crisis. Professor Niels Skakkebaek of the University of Copenhagen presented data to the WHO indicating sperm counts had fallen by about a half over the past 50 years.

The human population explosion may eventually be self limiting. I suppose it would be surprising if chemicals that affect wildlife reproduction had no impact on human reproduction.

Bing.alau 11:23 AM 03 Sep 12

Blimey! No wonder I can't perform like I used to, I thought it was because I was over eighty.... (TIC).

interzone55 11:43 AM 03 Sep 12

Pine Man

Food Service is by far the most wasteful, some restaurants chuck away 50% of the food they cook in order to keep everything on the menu available all the time.

I must admit though that when I see some families' trolleys in Asda I wonder just how much of the food will be eaten...

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Sony Xperia Z5 launch live: Sony Xperia Z5 live video stream from IFA 2015 - watch…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Google's new logo was redesigned

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites