Insurance Write-offs!.

spuds 11:33 17 Nov 09

As a matter of interest, have you had an insurance write-off for a vehicle or perhaps a claim on a house and building policy. If so, how did you fair, and did you find the experiences good, bad or impartial!.

Cymro. 12:46 17 Nov 09

I have known a few people over the years who have had a claim for a car that the insurance company said was a right off. Very often the insured did not agree that it was beyond economical repair and anyway they never had what they thought was a fair price in settlement for the written off car. Perhaps we very often think our cars are worth more than they actually are, well more than the insurance company think they are worth anyway.

On the other had a relative of mine had a claim on house insurance for flood damage and was more than satisfied with the service and the settlement price for her goods.

Pamy 14:31 17 Nov 09

Had house flood and car write off, not happy with the outcome of either, Hassle with loss adjusters all the way. Both times ended up dealing direct with insurance company . Not a happy bunny.

Noldi 17:05 17 Nov 09

Son destroyed my Wifes car in October. We had £1,000 excess on an under 20 year old, The check we got back was what we paid for the car 6 months before. Very happy with the way it was handled. Cant say the same about the recovery company.

Noldi

OTT_Buzzard 17:18 17 Nov 09

I crashed my car about 8 years ago (the last car insurance claim i've had). Direct Line, the insurance company, was actually pretty good. I phoned them up, they arranged for the car to be picked up the next day. I got it back a week later fully repaired and valeted. This also included 4 new alloy wheels, since one had been damaged and the style was no longer available.

Quite happy with that!

Diemmess 18:06 17 Nov 09

It wouldn't suit me now but in 1994 I had a low mileage Pergeot 1.9 GTI which "lost its wheels" overnight.
Claim settled in full less my excess.

Took police advice and garaged it with a five lever mortice lock each side of up and over door.
1995 Garage door forced and car gone along with garage equipment never to be seen again.

This time Landmark insurance (later Churchill and LLoyds) used an iron fist.
"They" had searched and found the wheel locking bolts key, and must have hot wired the ignition.

No courtesy car because it wasn't crash damaged.
Very slow response eventually taking nearly 3 months to settle, and including over two hours of loss adjuster grilling. Fortunately I had all the keys.
Yes - I had four children and Yes - they all had their own cars.
Eventually they settled for about £1000 less than the current Glass' guide

(The car had actually appreciated in value because Pergeot had ceased production unable to sell a high performance car to the youngsters who couldn't buy insurance, or oldsters who would rather spend their money on more prestigious models).

Apart from the under payment, I lost my protected no claim record (2 major claims inside one year)
Also my house contents wriggled out of proper payment for missing tools (no longer available) and garage door I had repaired myself, though it never did open easily after that!

That is why I boil when I think of it and when I hear thieves quoted as saying "Well the robbed will be alright because insurance will cover it"

Trying to obtain a new policy is difficult when one has to confess to two recent and heavy claims. I was left with having to re-earn my discount with Landmark who gave the impression that they thought I had pulled a fast one.

Ranger 06:40 20 Nov 09

Around 4 weeks ago my daughters car was written off, the insurance company(elephant) have been pretty good and quick, the only glitch has been their on line accident reporting form never arrived at them the first time she filled it in, also she declined their first offer and was reasonably happy with their second, still not enough to buy the same spec car though.

Carrying on her run of bad luck though she tried to move a 32" LCD in her room to get something behind it, moved it to far and it fell damaging the screen, she tried to stop it falling but she has broken arm from the car accident and found it impossible to stop it falling.

I have been dealing with this through my house insurance and several phone calls and weeks later I am still no wiser if the insurance company are going to pay out or not

exdragon 07:59 20 Nov 09

Excellent outcome following a claim when I had a crack in a bathroom wall, bottom left to top right corners. As I intended having a new bathroom shortly afterwards, they gave me a fair allowance in cash rather than have their own people do the repairs.

One of the other things was that the subsidence had caused the wallpaper in the adjoining hall to wrinkle in the corner. Without prompting, the loss adjuster said they would redecorate my first and second floor maisonnette from top to bottom - two floors and a couple of landings. In addition, as originally I had different papers above and below a dado rail, and wanted to have the same paper all over, they gave me a higher 'per roll' allowance as it would be less work for them.

When I said I was surprised at what they were prepared to do, he told me that after doing his job for so long, he knew when people were 'trying it on' and doing their best to get as much as they could.

Excellent job well and quickly done.

Made a change to be on the winning side for once!

spuds 22:30 22 Nov 09

Some very interesting comments, which perhaps suggests that you have to select your insurance company wisely.

Recently I had a minor shunt in my car, and the result of that was the insurance company dealt with the whole matter within 5 days, from placing the claim, visit by an assessor and an offer under category C as an insurance write-off. The car itself was checked and cleared as roadworthy, and I was offered the car back with continuation of the insurance with revised terms and conditions.

A friend of mine owns a garage and MOT station, and he was telling me about the increase of people not reporting minor or even larger knocks, due to the final outcome. Usually a mutual kerbside agreement between drivers, resolved the issues.

Regarding household insurance, again it would appear that it is a choice of selecting the right company. One person that I was speaking to, was saying that they put in a claim for a kitchen fire, and the settlement of that wasn't very good. Apparently a pair of curtains was the main contention. One curtain was destroyed and the other part of the curtain was sent away for cleaning. The replacement curtain supplied by the insurance company was impossible to match, which caused friction over the claim.

So in all, it would seem as though some insurance companies will go that little extra, when others will not. And at the end of the day, the customer as to be very selective.

ened 07:42 23 Nov 09

The question of 'economical repair' is a moot point.

This is why I have a bug-bear about people who insist on attaching themselves to the boot of my car.

I intend to keep my car for a few years yet but I also know that if I have any rear-end damage the insurance company of the other driver will only pay up to the value of the vehicle, which will not cover the full cost of repair.

I believe this is wrong! It happened to me about six years ago and to my mind my car should have been returned to the condition it was in before their client rear-ended me. The book value was about £1500 and that was all they were prepared to pay, yet the cost of repair (cheapest estimate) was £2200. So I had to make up the rest out of my own pocket which hardly seems fair.

Another topic perhaps, but somebody suggested on the radio the other day that the Queens speech should include a law that makes it mandatory that you resit your test if you hit somebody from behind. I would most certainly vote for that.

spuds 12:06 23 Nov 09

I certainly wouldn't vote for a mandatory resit.

In my recent incident I 'tail-ended' a BMW. Behind me were a number of other vehicles, and all managed to stop within a confined distance of each other (nearly multi pile-up!). All the driver's plus myself had just commenced to drive from a traffic light section on an access road from a supermarket,that had changed from red to green, and we all proceeded very slowly away in convoy. Something that I would suspect happens thousands of time a day. A large crowd of students from the local college where in the area, and a few decided to run across the road 'after' the little crossing man had told them not to. I am not saying that I was not in the wrong, but I would have been more annoyed had I and perhaps other innocent parties had to take a mandatory test.

Perhaps going a little further, and I don't know if it still applies, but Israel had very stringent road regulations when I use to visit there many years ago. Any vehicle involved in an accident was impounded and inspected for defects.

Which perhaps brings me to the way the UK and the insurance procedures seem to work. My vehicle had a slight dent placed in the front grill, and on expert advice the vehicle is still fully road worthy. But that little knock and the insurance classing the vehicle as a 'write-off', because it is more cost effective to them. I know have to book my vehicle into a VOSA station, travel approx 50 miles, pay a government fee, all so that someone can check to see if the vehicle VIN and registeration number are the same as the log book. No inspection for damage is required. To my opinion and that of the people in the trade, this is a utter nonsense, because an MOT station could do the work far better, cheaper and less inconvenient. A further tax on the general motoring public perhaps, and all because the government think this might stop cloning and car theft!.

With regards to the value of the vehicle, I queried this as a matter of curiousity. The 'contracted-out' assessor had provided their estimates for repair or write-off, and the insurance company took the advice of the assessor. But fair dues to the insurance company, they did a number of checks, including using Auto Trader for a price comparison to present day values of the vehicle and a price was agreed. Remember also,that I was 'given' the vehicle with continuation of insurance with certain condition applied.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…