inside google

Algerian peter ™ 22:06 PM 17 Oct 12
  Forum Editor 22:22 PM 17 Oct 12

These images are a sobering reminder of just how reliant the world is on electricity and the internet. Knock out one, and we lose the other.

These server farms are to be found all over the world, not just running Google, but Microsoft, Apple, the mobile phone networks, and handling data for millions of companies and the world's banks.

It's frightening to think how far we have come along the road of entrusting our lives to machines.

Aitchbee 22:35 PM 17 Oct 12

That's a great link , Algerian peter.

Even my little 1gb dongle would be useless if it all went pear-shaped.

Aitchbee 22:49 PM 17 Oct 12

...although some of the images remind me of old/new BT main distribution frames MDF's (Inside Telephone Exchange Buildings] typically about 30 or so years ago.

WhiteTruckMan 23:11 PM 17 Oct 12

I too have seen these pictures. I actually find them mildly disturbing, for reasons that in all honesty I am unable to put my finger on.

Forum Editor 23:27 PM 17 Oct 12

I know what you mean. I haven't been in a server farm as big as those in the images, but I have been in some pretty big data centres and server rooms, and it can be vaguely unsettling.

You get a slight feeling of being in an alien environment, and you're very aware that there are things going on that you can't see, and might not understand if you could.

It gets better, once you've had your hands on a few boxes and cables, but I always get a little of that 'Don't cut the red wire' feeling, and I'm glad when I'm out of there.

lotvic 23:30 PM 17 Oct 12

WhiteTruckMan, for Goshed sake please don't put your finger in there :-0

interzone55 09:35 AM 18 Oct 12

Enter the matrix...

These aren't quite the first pictures from Google's server farms, but hey The Daily Mail has never been one for 100% accuracy.

Anyway, I love Google's buildings, they put a lot of thought into the design and environment. For instance look at the pipes, there's a reason they're different colours, but they've used the company colours and it makes the place brighter.

By the way, in one of the Google data centres they use the grey water (sewage with the lumps filtered out) from the kitchens and wash rooms for cooling, this water is then triple filtered and treated before being returned to the ground, where it's cleaner than it was when it entered the building

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Adobe unveils Sketch-rival Project Comet for UX design

How to fix iOS 9 problem iPhone stuck screen, unresponsive, no swipe, frozen, can't turn off