Infrared radiant heaters?

Blackhat 17:25 21 Oct 10

I am looking at upgrading the heating in my factories and have calculated that the most efficient system would be wall mounted radiant heaters, I would need 6 X 3Kw units per factory and I would be saving around £100-£150 per week. Calculations taken from this info click here

Question is, does anyone have experience with this type of heating? I don’t know any local units using it and as it would be a few thousand £ to purchase & install I would appreciate it if anyone who works in an environment with these fitted could tell me any pro’s or con’s. Current heating is propane gas blowers.

wiz-king 18:07 21 Oct 10

It's horrible!
We had a lot of trouble with a similar type of heating at a unit we rented for a while. We had them suspended from the ceiling. Ours were gas fired but worked in a similar manner.
It heats up any work surfaces under the heaters and made our optical bench practically unusable - we were setting up landing light systems for airports - the bench got hot but the units were cold, so we had to wait for each unit to heat up on the bench. The staff were complaining about cold draughts round their feet and overheated heads.
Amixture of both may be better, the radiant heaters warm the benches and a propane blower to warm the air.

Diemmess 18:24 21 Oct 10

A tiny squeak from a retired person who's only experience with suspended radiant bars was to heat our first bathroom very ineffectively.
It took ages to warm the air.

A chapel schoolroom heated by the same method when a garden club uses it suffers much the same way, in fact the members roast their heads before they have warm legs.
If the speaker attracts a crowd then @ 250Watts per person members switch off well before the meeting ends with a warm fug in the place.

The method's only advantage seems to be it is less expensive than some.

spuds 18:48 21 Oct 10

A friend of mine owns a garage complex, and last year he removed some two year old radiant wall mounted heaters, because as other have suggested, the heat seems to circulate in one area only. In his place it even made it worse by having constantly open doors.

He replaced the heaters with gas fueled hot air blowers, that could be used as cold air blowers in the warmer months. He also fitted plastic type drop screens at doorways, and as been satisfied with the solution since.

Would mention that he picked up the heaters from a factory liquidation, so he was able to see what type of area that they had been used previously. The price he paid was nothing like buying new or second-hand from a dealer. He arranged for them to be checked over, made the purchase, removed and re-installed by a local gas fitter.

I remember these from way back when they were used domestically, one brand was called "Dimplex". If you wandered in front of the reflector you could certainly feel the heat from them, but I can't remember that they did anything for the ambient temperature.

I remember these from way back when they were used domestically, one brand was called "Dimplex". If you wandered in front of the reflector you could certainly feel the heat from them, but I can't remember that they did anything for the ambient temperature.

ams4127 19:58 21 Oct 10

They are fitted in the hangar where I currently work. Converted a couple of years ago, gas powered and extremely efficient.

Working on the aircraft at floor level is very pleasant but, if working on top of the mainplane or fuselage, you're quickly shedding clothes because it is roasting hot. Working on the fin is only possible if the heating is turned off.

Blackhat 23:03 21 Oct 10

Thanks all for your replies, having looked at the way these things work and your comments; I feel I still need a bit more info on working conditions before I commit.

All my manufacturing is ground level and non heat sensitive. My propane gas blowers work well but cost £250+ per week in replacement cylinders. I may well just buy a few units to see how they work.

BT 08:58 22 Oct 10

At one place I worked we had an air circulation system that drew warm air from the top of the warehouse space and blew it back in at floor level. This was in addition to the space heating but made a big difference to the general overall temperature.

Quickbeam 09:15 22 Oct 10

We had them in a bakery that I worked in 30 years ago. I found that you didn't feel any heat unless you were right in line with them. That meant that half of a steel topped table got very warm, and the other half was still very cold. They don't seem to give any warmth until something in line with the heater is physically there to absorb it.

As per the other comments, this means that you have very cold draughty areas where the radiant isn't covering, and overly hot areas where they do cover. Without any convection currents they are very localised in there heating areas. After an hour the heat from the ovens was much more efficient and we then turned them off.

jack 10:13 22 Oct 10

The Mail order firm I worked for had a new warehouse fitted out.
Heating was the problem of course - the remedy was indeed ceiling radiants[was it gas or electric - i have forgotten these 25 years] but what made the things work was the big slow revving fans that blew the warmed air down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…