Infected Video iPods (and other risks)

WhiteTruckMan 23:52 19 Oct 06

I'm not trying to spread panic about ipods but in this

click here

Theres an interesting point made at the end about "...scan any mass storage devices that you have recently attached to your Windows computers such as external hard drives, digital cameras with removable media, and USB flash drives."

It all sounds , well, obvious really when you think about it. The problem is, how many people actually think about it? I'm going to hold my hand up here and say that, hand on heart, I have never even THOUGHT about scanning any of our cameras. Theres no risk of infection from outside sources, as they arent ever plugged into anything else, but thats not the point. The point is, they are so far off my personal radar that they never even register. It seems more convenient just to plug the memory card into a reader, or even one of those machines that will print directly from your card. Just how secure are those machines? I would have thought they would be ok, but then again I would have said the same about ipods...

Slightly different case with flash drives. I personally do not have one, but fully appreciate the usefullness of them regarding data portability. My kids have a couple they use for school stuff and the like. As i write this, I dont actually know that they dont scan them, but I would be willing to wager that they never have.

Does any of this reveal any holes in anyone elses security measures?

WTM

wolfie3000 00:09 20 Oct 06

It does raise some interesting issues,

Me and my friends all carry pen drives like others carry mobile phones and we regulary swap files from each others pcs,

Such as mods, save games and so on.....

I never really scan my friends pen drives when they chuck em in my usb port but i always thought that if there was something nasty on them that my antivirus would start going mental,

I may have to rethink my secuirity on my pc.

Kate B 00:20 21 Oct 06

I've just bought a new iPod so after reading that story scanned it and my PC yesterday. Clean as a whistle.

WhiteTruckMan 18:50 21 Oct 06

Apologies if I made you worry about your ipod. i really think it is a very small risk indeed. Rather, It was my intention to highlight ways and means that a system could be compromised without even thinking about it.

WTM

powerless 20:08 21 Oct 06

It's nothing new WTM..........floppy disks comes to mind.

WhiteTruckMan 20:20 21 Oct 06

floppy disks are much of an issue these days, what with many machines not even being fitted with drives, but historically, yes they did pose a security issue. But we are seeing a generation of users who will not remember those days.

WTM

powerless 20:42 21 Oct 06

It's nothing new WTM..........floppy disks comes to mind.

powerless 20:44 21 Oct 06

oopps.

That second post was because I hit the back button in Opera and didn't really I already posted it.....don't ask.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac