Incredible helicopter flying

Totally-braindead 21:45 19 Sep 07

Just been watching some videos of the 2007 Radio Control Model Helicopter 3D flying championships.
In particular the ones by Curtis Youngblood and Dominik Haegele the Masters in the Finals Freestyle down at the bottom of the page.
click here

Now its well worth a look to any of you that might be interested in helicopters but I have to ask, being a model flier myself, though just a beginner, how on earth do they manage to do it?
The helicopters sideways then its inverted then its flying backwards etc etc. And they do all this faster than you can even talk about it. Incredible footage and I thought it might be worth posting about it.
There are a few crashes in some of the other videos but if anyone thinks they have fast reactions can you ever see yourself being able to do this? Assumming it interests you of course.

Woolwell 23:44 19 Sep 07

Glad it was a model not the real thing. Of course a real helicopter could not do it. A lot of the spins are due to torque generated by the main rotor head which is normally counteracted by the tail rotor.
Although this click here= is a 3D generated view of a Seaking doing a wingover the actual manouevre is not that different. In the mid 70's I was the crew in an air display. We did about 20 of these wing overs. I can remember just about each one. We used to do it as a synchronised pair low-level and gave up when the second nearly hit the ground.

Totally-braindead 16:00 20 Sep 07

Woolwell then a Seaking could actually do this manoeuvre thats amazing.
I've seen people flying model helicopters in what they call 3D flying and it is amazing but the videos I gave the link to shows that since the last time I saw it they have moved the goalposts rather dramatically.
What amazes me about the entire thing is the speed of the movements and I am gobsmacked that anyones reflexes are up to doing these sort of manoeuvres. I realise no real helicopter could do anything like this.
Makes Airwolf look rather lame now doesn't it!

Confab 18:16 20 Sep 07

Just been watching the display by Curtis Youngblood with my 8 year old looking over my shoulder. “I guess he doesn’t know how to fly it, does he dad” was his comment.

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:56 20 Sep 07

'Of course a real helicopter could not do it'...get your peepers clapped to this........ click here

G

Totally-braindead 19:07 20 Sep 07

Do you think all the guys hair fell out due to the fright he gave himself Gandalf?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:09 20 Sep 07

he is magnificently bonkers.

G

Woolwell 21:51 20 Sep 07

No ejection seat and too low for a parachute - agree magnificently bonkers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…