Incompetence or ignorance?

LastChip 13:47 18 Mar 06

I read PCA's piece about possible French legislation click here that it is claimed may sound the death toll for open source development in France.

The copyright issue has been debated here before in some detail, but this strikes me as a bunch of politicians who have little or no understanding of the technical aspects of software development, trying to legislate an impossible task. What is more worrying, is the speed at which it is being pushed through - never a good sign, as it suggests someone somewhere has something to hide (or avoid)!

As I think is widely accepted, copyright holders have the right to be protected by law as well as conscience, but whether this is the way forward remains to be seen. Furthermore, if this model were adopted by the European courts, I dread to think what the outcome would be.

Innovation should be encouraged, not stifled and I can only see negative aspects emerging from this move. If ever there is going to be a case to push French developers to ply their trade elsewhere, this is it!

amonra 14:38 18 Mar 06

Incompetence or ignorance. Does it make any difference ? It's the French you are talking about and they are only concerned with the French ! Nothing matters to the French except beating the Yanks, they are paranoid about the US and their dominance of the computer market. Have you read about Chirac's idea to produce a French search engine to out-do Google ? How egotistic can you get.
You've started me off now on my pet hate, I'd better pack it in before WW 3 starts.

LastChip 14:58 18 Mar 06

But surely the point is, the French (in this instance) are not concerned about their countrymen. They will drive any talent they have abroad, where they can feel free of any likelihood of being imprisoned.

As for the American's, as far as I can see, they don't care. They will employ anyone they believe is talented enough to get the job done, anywhere in the world.

Another point to this, is it's likely to drive development of "marginal" software underground. Is that what is really wanted?

Software is an International business. If it's not allowed in France, then it will be developed in the UK, or Romania, or China or anywhere else. This is why (to me) it seems impossible to legislate against and why I think that although the French in this instance may have good intentions, there is a total lack of understanding of the issue.

DrScott 17:09 18 Mar 06

It's just like the government policies of all countries - the bigger picture is often not thought about or just ignored.

Think about who gives more money to the government - big corporate internationals, or open source software developers? Now imagine you're the treasurer for your party - who will you chose to ignore?

Not that I'm cynical or anything...

WhiteTruckMan 21:42 18 Mar 06

LastChip-we all know which road is paved with good intentions.

WTM

ami 00:48 19 Mar 06

I'm unsure how legislation to ban
software "manifestly intended to make protected works available to unauthorised persons", to quote from the article, will 'sound the death toll of open source software'.
Some software may be affected, open source or otherwise, but ALL open source, surely not!
And why shouldn't such software be banned anyway, designed as it is to facilitate the illegal copying of copyrighted material, thereby denying the creator a fair return for his/her endevours.

rdave13 01:29 19 Mar 06

Totally agree with you and while were at it let's ban the hardware as well.Bye bye DVD and CD burners. Bye bye DVD recorders and the old fashioned Video recorders and cassettes. Now what else can we ban.....soon be running out of things...

spuds 12:00 19 Mar 06

Fresh air-perhaps :o)

Starfox 12:28 19 Mar 06

"Now what else can we ban....."

Don't worry,the legislators will find something ;O)

Forum Editor 16:16 19 Mar 06

"Now what else can we ban....."

We could start burning books.

I share your view - that "manifestly intended to make protected works available to unauthorised persons" is pretty succinct, and not something that's open to misinterpretation. I certainly don't read it as a threat to world stability, or even to open-source software development. It would simply mean that software developers would need to exercise a little more care.

There's no need for the knee-jerk panic that always seems to spread when these subjects crop up.

LastChip 17:11 19 Mar 06

Could it not be interpreted that a VCR is purposely designed to copy protected works? And indeed, was it not (all those years ago) what the major court case and subsequent judgement was all about?

The problem with this sort of legislation is, there is always someone with a vested interest that wants to push the boundaries and claim that their intellectual property has been infringed.

I can't claim to know the answer to this, but I'm pretty certain, this is an unwelcome development.

Are you going to ban cars, because they can be used to kill someone? In a sense, the same issue applies. There must be some responsibility laid at the door of the user, as to whether a particular item is used in the way intended, or there has been a deliberate attempt to infringe (or steal) others property.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…