Is this incessant rain getting you down?

TopCat® 17:06 PM 02 Jul 12

Well it is me, and I'm sure many others as well, up and down the country.

It seems like forever when here in 'sunny' Cornwall we managed a complete summer's day and it's starting to get depressing. But then my woes are but nothing compared to the poor souls who suffered the atrocious flooding recently. I hope the flood waters never ever reach them again.

Whilst on the subject of excess water, can anyone tell me why the raised rain gutter on car roofs was designed out of their construction? My old Honda, I noted at the time of purchase in 1991, was built about the time that all cars were losing their guttering and opening the car door for access in pouring rain was a new, very wet experience if one didn't move rather quickly!

My poor wife came back this morning and, together with the car door's interior got a right old soaking before I could get to her in time. The car does indeed have slightly recessed rain channels but are next to useless if it is driven with the window slightly open. Braking or changing direction usually sends a shower of roof water cascading over and inside the glass. (yes I know, just change the car I hear you say! :o) Not quite yet I'm afraid.

I'm not sure if this is the case, but I'm sure a recently made American film had cars with gutters, so why not us? I had heard some time ago that their removal was because of better aerodynamics and to cut down on wind noise.

Well. that's got that off my chest, so now I patiently await any responses from our learned members. TC. :)

interzone55 17:17 PM 02 Jul 12

We've had very few nice weekends this year.

Last week we had tickets to see Elbow at Jodrell Bank, but we had to give it a miss, as my partner is unable to walk in mud, so that was £80 down the toilet.

We've got tickets for Latitude festival in a fortnight, so I hope it clears up of that's the best part of £400 down the same toilet.

What worse though is we have a shared septic tank here, and when it rains heavily our lake fills up and enters the drains, which then fills up the septic tank, so our toilets won't flush, and sinks won't empty...

spider9 17:54 PM 02 Jul 12

"Is this incessant rain getting you down?"

Having a 'finger or two' in the rainwear business, I'm finding it hard to keep the smile off my face, at present, I'm afraid!

Quickbeam 17:57 PM 02 Jul 12

Quickbeam 17:58 PM 02 Jul 12

...and spider9 must now be a money spider:)

Aitchbee 18:03 PM 02 Jul 12

I haven't had to water my potted plants on my verandah for about a month...usually a daily routine most summers.

Instead I have been routinely emptying the 'drip-trays' (black buckets with no holes in the bottom).(Glasgow southside).

Officially, it has been the wettest June on record in Britain. (when averaged out)

Quickbeam 18:08 PM 02 Jul 12

I don't think they had to average anything to get that answer HB!

muddypaws 18:16 PM 02 Jul 12

Re car guttering.

I have a Ford CMax with no guttering and if it is raining or if roof is wet opening any door results in water falling on to the edge of the seats. So every so often I have to clean off the water stains. The only solution is to wipe the edge of the roof before opening doors. Which, of course, I forget to do.

carver 18:28 PM 02 Jul 12

Yes but what you do is to buy a car with leather seats then when you open the car door the water just lands on the seats but doesn't soak into the seat.

Still get a wet backside though.

But this rain is now past a joke, we have field we can not even put the horses on because they are so wet, one of them now has a stream running through the middle of it with no sign of it drying up.

birdface 18:34 PM 02 Jul 12

[money spider:)

Or does a lot of business on the Web.

I hate Winters and it does not help when you get a crap summer thrown in as well.

Bingalau 18:36 PM 02 Jul 12

What a nation of wimps we are becoming.

My sergeant's Major used to tell us when it was chucking it down, that God gave us waterproof skin. He was right of course and I am sitting here (inside) right now watching it chucking it down and hoping he is outside in his birthday suit right now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

ZAK releases more videos showing what happens if you ask other professions to work for free

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know