Incapacity Benefit

Curio 18:26 13 Feb 08

My daughter has been a Mobile, self-employed hairdresser for 18 yrs. New Years Eve she slipped and broke her wrist. Having paid full stamp, she claimed Incapacity Benefit. Payment has been made, but she has received a letter from the Employment Office this week giving her an appointment for interview for assessing her needs to get back into employment. She rang them and explained that as soon as the hospital signed her off she would resume her trade. Not good enough they said, she is required by law to attend. So later this month she is going to waste time and money getting to this interview for what appears to be no good reason.Is this another Jobsworth operation??

Forum Editor 19:15 13 Feb 08

it obviously is a waste of time, but that's not a justification for questioning the policy - there are huge numbers of people who claim this benefit illegally.

It's a pity that your daughter has to go through the machine, but she's paying the price for the armies of her fellow citizens who are simply milking the system for what they can get.

Devil Fish 19:16 13 Feb 08

not jobsworth's they are checking circumstances face to face to try and cut down on people abusing the system whilst this isn't the case with your daughter
she will still have to go through the same process as everybody else.

Whilst her time may not be compensated get her to check with the job centre as she may be able to claim back out of pocket expenses travelling to and from the interview

Curio 19:59 13 Feb 08

Comments noted but I would point out:-
My daughter has never claimed any benefit in her working life. She did the ground-work to get her apprenticeship at age 16 - not via the Employment Office. This is the first time she has appeared on their radar and she is being contacted to attend. I know of quite a few unemployed who claim for anything going, and are not bothered by these officials. Just strikes me as an 'easy target' for want of a better phrase.

Forum Editor 20:08 13 Feb 08

Possibly, but I really don't see the problem. She's entitled to the benefit, but they have the right to check, and to be honest it's good to hear that they're doing so - there would be no shortage of criticism if they didn't.

HondaMan 21:22 13 Feb 08

Incapacity Benefit has one of the highest fraud rates. I have been interviewed twice. They work on a points system to check whether the claimant is entitled. See here click here

Totally-braindead 22:35 13 Feb 08

They kicked me off Incapacity last year as I was 2 points short of getting it.

Its so great to know that I am cured and completely recovered but I am puzzled that I still am ill.

Regarding your daughter Curio its no big deal and as said its only checking to make sure she is entitled.

al7478 23:20 13 Feb 08

It feels as if shes an easy target, because those who are "not bothered" bythe system could be said to have been "given up on" by the system (im not saying theyre all saints with keen intentions to work, mind).

Im afraid i have to agree with Forum Editor.

barca1 23:39 13 Feb 08

Its a REAL shame but theres huge numbers of people who claim this benefit illegally as FE stated,& i know a couple & there leaches & have been for a few years,ive got a m8 who claims he's ill & gets a further £35+ per week & he's ok..??? the system amazes me.

norman47 23:42 13 Feb 08

When I walked (lol) in to my medical interview regarding an Incapacity Benefit review. The last one was 12 years ago.

The resident doctor laughed :-)

It would appear that I had over 30 points just getting through the door:-(

It ammused me chatting to those with panic attacts and bad backs sweating and waiting for thier interview.

MCE2K5 23:46 13 Feb 08

0800 Number, click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…