Impulse buy of USB Turntable

Bingalau 22:20 05 Dec 07

I was browsing around Costco with my better half (her opinion), when I spotted USB turntables for sale at just under £70.00. So I plonked one in my trolley, brought it home and set it up on a temporary basis to see if I could work it. Very surprised that my first attempt came up trumps. It is an "ION USB Turntable" and came complete with software for iTunes and Audacity, which I already had installed. Now I'm trying to work out where to site it, so that I can use it regularly and commence the huge task of converting all my old vinyl records to CD's. I reckon I might re-surface about three years from now. First I have got to make room for it in this cubby hole of mine. She who must be obeyed is already rooting out all her old Guy Mitchell 78's. So I won't have as much time to spend browsing this site amongst others. I will try to do so now and again though. Come to think of it I will probably be asking for help with this system shortly. That's my Christmas present sorted...

Brumas 22:29 05 Dec 07

"So I won't have as much time to spend browsing this site amongst others"

Just another excuse why you won't be able to identify Friday's offering ;o))

Bingalau 22:45 05 Dec 07

Brumas. How could I ever miss that. I will put a reminder in my diary that I must check out Brumas's Friday evening offering. I know you go to so much trouble to ensure we have a puzzle for the weekend, it would be remiss of me to ignore it. See you Friday ..... Blimey! she's just pulled out a heap of Vaughn Monroe's records. Oh! Gawd, what have I let myself in for?

Brumas 22:50 05 Dec 07

Quick - hide the Des O'Connor!!!!

exdragon 22:51 05 Dec 07

Is it too late to buy another one...as a surprise Christmas present for the love of your life? Swiftly followed by lessons on how to do it?

exdragon 22:52 05 Dec 07

Funny you should say that, I was wondering if I could send some of mine to Bingalau to put on CD for me

Bingalau 22:56 05 Dec 07

exdragon. She never comes near the computer unless she wants me to type out a letter for her, or some other job that is necessary for the running of the Royal Marines' WAG's club. It's my own fault I suppose, I've made my bed and now I have to lie on it.

Bingalau 22:57 05 Dec 07

Brumas.. Good thinking... but not much room to hide anything in our house these days. I wonder if I can smuggle some of them to the pawn shop?

DANZIG 23:02 05 Dec 07

Sounds fantastic! Is it that easy? I'd love one of them, could you send me some details please?

Thanks

Woolwell 00:04 06 Dec 07

You can get a Bush turntable for £39 from Currys or Comet. You need to buy a cable from Maplins to connect audio to line in and an adaptor to join the two male end phono cables together. Total cost under £60.

Connect to Line-in on your sound card, make sure that it is not muted and record using Audacity.

I had to do this as the ION apparently doesn't work with Media Centre Edition of XP.

Now I need an external hard drive to keep them all on including one of the Mountbatten concerts which Bingalau ought to have. Some of the old vinyl is really good to listen to again.

WhiteTruckMan 00:53 06 Dec 07

in a rather attractive wooden box with a lift up lid. inside was a turntable, on the front was a cd player and an am/fm radio and on the right hand side was a cassette player. However, when I asked the assistant where I played my 8 tracks, he looked oddly at me and asked if they were those miniture cd's!

Is it me?

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac