I'm a sceptic now, says ex-NASA climate boss

carver 18:46 18 Mar 09

Well now we have another person who's not quite convinced about global warming, wonder how long he will last before the knifes come out for him.

This bit is interesting, it's a statement from a man named Hanson,

Hansen has called for energy industry executives to be jailed for dissenting from the man-made warming hypothesis. ®

So if you don't agree with global warming, we will jail you, nice man.

PalaeoBill 19:07 18 Mar 09

Nice pickup, but you forgot to post a link. I have taken the liberty of posting a link to what Dr John Theon actually said rather than what The Register says he said. I hope you don't mind:

click here

Its good reading.

carver 20:37 18 Mar 09

If this appears twice it's not my fault.

Thanks for reminder, I must have been to quick for my own good, never mind this is the link I was suppose to have added

click here

carver 20:40 18 Mar 09

Have to admit your link is better.

peter99co 21:07 18 Mar 09

I was please to see David Bellamy down as a non- believer too.

Forum Editor 23:12 18 Mar 09

is a natural phenomenon as it is to say that it's all our fault. The truth is that none of us will be around to see who was right anyway, so we may as well say whatever we like.

That the world is warming is indisputable; that we can do anything about it is debatable, but I take the view that we're unlikely to make matters worse by trying, so we may as well give it our best shot. Others are of the opinion that there's no point.

newman35 23:18 18 Mar 09

If global warming is man-made then we should be doing something to try and minimise effects, and if global warming is natural, then we should be doing something to try and minimise effects.

So, to me. it doesn't really matter who you believe, we should still be trying - we may not be here to see the results but our kids/ grandkids etc will.

Forum Editor 23:27 18 Mar 09

David Bellamy down as a non- believer too"

I'm not sure why you were pleased, David Bellamy isn't exactly the most respected of authorities on the subject. I have his book, published twenty years ago, called "The Greenhouse effect" written when he was very much a believer. He said then ""The profligate demands of humankind are causing far reaching changes to the atmosphere of planet Earth, of this there is no doubt."

Now he has a few doubts, and has expressed them quite forcibly, referring to the idea of man-made global warming as "poppycock".

He was made to look rather silly over some erroneous 'facts' about glaciers, and was forced to admit that they were wrong. He wrote to The Sunday Times saying that he had "decided to draw back from the debate on global warming".

Chegs ®™ 23:47 18 Mar 09

That the world is warming is indisputable; that we can do anything about it is debatable, but I take the view that we're unlikely to make matters worse by trying, so we may as well give it our best shot.

According to satellite data, the Earth has cooled since Gore’s film was released, Antarctic sea ice extent has grown to record levels, sea level rise has slowed, ocean temperatures have failed to warm, and more and more scientists have publicly declared their dissent from man-made climate fears as peer-reviewed studies continue to man-made counter warming fears.

I do agree it does no harm to try & reduce man-made emissions,but do not agree with government policy to tax us in every concievable way and claim its to reduce emissions.

Forum Editor 00:06 19 Mar 09

"are you saying you know more than scientists do"

Nope, I'm saying that it is indisputable that the world is warming. Why it's warming is certainly up for debate, but not the fact of its warming.

The rise in global surface temperature has averaged more than 0.15 °C per decade since the mid-1970s. Warming has been unprecedented in at least the last 50 years, and the 17 warmest years have all occurred in the last 20 years. This does not mean that next year will necessarily be warmer than last year, but the long-term trend is for rising temperatures.

natdoor 08:45 19 Mar 09

Whether or not global warming is due to increased levels of CO2, the effect of focussing on renewable energy and greater efficiency will pay dividends. Hopefully in fifty years or so ITER will have produced a solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…