I'm English, are you?

version8 17:41 17 Sep 08

With Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland getting home rule, why is it on a job application i have to put on it White-British.

Surely i'm now White-English?
Well to be honest i was born in London, so i could say White-English-Londoner!

peter99co 17:49 17 Sep 08

English born and bred. Is it true that the population of true English people is reducing and we are becoming a minority group. Statistics can prove anything but is there any truth in it?

Forum Editor 17:50 17 Sep 08

on a job application? It's against the law to discriminate against a person on the basis of skin colour, and it certainly has no relevance to a job application.

If you're a British citizen I see nothing wrong in saying just that - your nationality is British.

I'm half Welsh, and the other half of me is a mixture of Scottish and English blood. On my passport it says I am British, and I'm quite happy with that - I can never understand people who get all precious about saying they're Scottish or Welsh or English, it doesn't make the slightest difference as far as I'm concerned.

version8 17:53 17 Sep 08

Job application states "White British" & then other ethnic backgrounds also British.

Forum Editor 18:10 17 Sep 08

'True English people' What are they?

There haven't been any pure-blooded English people for over 1000 years, and most of those who call themselves 'true English' are in fact a mixture of several blood lines - take your pick from Italian, French, and Scandanavian, with a drop or two of Belgian and Dutch for good measure.

So Afraid 19:35 17 Sep 08

If asked i always say i am English,if someone fills out a form and put`s down british thats fine by me,but it should be fine for others if i wish to put down English on the form,but it seems they are taking my right to do so.

peter99co 19:37 17 Sep 08

It is just that some years ago I saw an article which seemed to imply that English population numbers appeared to be reducing. I did not realise I had included the word -True-

It is of course a result of population movement but I think this was indicating the 'English' birthrate was falling slowly relative to others.

I can't find any facts though. Not very good with research tools.

laurie53 19:43 17 Sep 08

"I can never understand people who get all precious about saying they're Scottish or Welsh or English, ......."

That's a pity really, because in your position you should be able to understand people who have different views/priorities to your own, even if you are diametrically opposed to them.

NewestRoyWidd1 19:55 17 Sep 08

Quarter Irish and quarter Scots and proud of my Celtic heritage,the rest is English,if there's any form filling to do,I simply tick British.

Jim Thing 22:37 17 Sep 08

There was a time in N. Ireland when job application forms required you to state your religion (I wonder why?). Nobody knew quite what to do with me when I wrote 'None.'

You couldn't just write 'Atheist' either — you had to be either a Catholic atheist or a Protestant atheist.

Forum Editor 23:04 17 Sep 08

Thanks for the little homily about what I should do in my position. I'm perfectly capable or recognising the right of others to hold views that are different to mine, but sometimes I don't understand them.

if that isn't clear to you, I suggest you consider the difference between acknowledging a right and understanding the manner in which it is exercised.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009