I'm back after 36 hours in limbo

jack 08:28 22 Jul 09

36 hours of going to bed early and strange smells emanating from fridge and freezer.
How nice civilization is.

Monday was the day that B&Q turned up to bring my bathroom into the 21st century.
Roman the Russian plumber set too.
I retreated to the garden to clip shrubs and bushes as he belted the cast iron bath with a club hammer.
Lunchtime 'Roman' and I having a cuppa and sandwich and suddenly- nozzing - 'Eeet iz not me ' he said 'I no touch electric'
As he was stripping out,plastering,running new pipe work, it didn't stop him. But yesterday he stopped at midday because rendering and plaster had to dry off, so he went to another job.
So this morning Roman the Russian is back.
here is hoping........

oldbeefer2 09:12 22 Jul 09

That's shocking!

Stuartli 09:53 22 Jul 09

Mad.

They are worth quite a lot of money especially those from the Victorian era, even if requiring some care and attention...:-)

jack 15:27 22 Jul 09

with a club hammer-Mad.

I do agree Stuarti- and it was in fairly good nick- albeit 52 years old.
We did discuss the possibility.
But the bath apparently must have been 'preinstalled and the various toilet/bedroom partitions built around it.
There was no other way to get it out - such a shame.

Forum Editor 18:42 22 Jul 09

to carry a cast-iron bath down a flight of stairs knows why most plumbers/builders break them up with a club hammer in the bathroom, and carry the pieces downstairs.

Stuartli 19:34 22 Jul 09

We had three strong lads who undertook the removal of the old bath downstairs and also ensured the replacement reached its new home..:-)

The number of enquiries we had from people wanting to buy it was remarkable - it paid quite a bit off the cost of the new cast iron bath.

jack 20:32 22 Jul 09

Went down to the town however- no traffic lights, petrol stations closed, shops in darkness, B&Q no lights on but were open, and had power on the tills[you betcha]
As I drove home up a side turning near to my house a very large multiwheel trailer on which was mounted a very large container box belting out diesel.
We have our own generator to serve an an enclave of perhaps 1000 homes but not the 'Harvester' near by -just when I fancied eating out to night,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…