Illustrious squeezes up Thames

peter99co 12:07 06 Nov 08

click here

HMS Illustrious has sailed up the River Thames in London to take part in Remembrance Day celebrations.

The 26,000-tonne vessel is one of Britain's biggest aircraft carriers.

Forum Editor 18:20 06 Nov 08

a fairly hefty vessel, I wasn't aware that something that large could fit through the Thames Barrier.

Pineman100 18:28 06 Nov 08

I wonder what she draws, and what the depth of water is at low tide.

I like the Captain's description of squeezing through the Barrier: "exhilarating"! :oO

Bingalau 19:25 06 Nov 08

Are the matelots on this forum aware of the title of this thread? I'm not sure they will like the two words "squeezing" and "up". If you are not ex-Navy then please do not ask.

peter99co 21:28 06 Nov 08

Blame the BBC for the Title. I don't think they are very nautical, being so far up the creek themselves!

rossgolf 22:40 06 Nov 08

wasnt this ship featured on chennel fives "warship"

Joe R 22:40 06 Nov 08

Brings back memories.

My young brother served on this ship, during the Falklands.

Forum Editor 22:45 06 Nov 08

like the words 'squeezes' and 'up' or not, they adequately describe what happened - the ship certainly just squeezed through the Thames barrier on its way 'up' the river, and the BBC knows that its audience would understand perfectly.

Chegs ®™ 03:22 07 Nov 08

I wouldnt class 12-15 metres either side as a particularly tight squeeze,even for a ship as big as this.Had the Captain said 12-15 feet,I might have been inclined to agree it was tight.

Monoux 07:07 07 Nov 08

When I last went to Amsterdam on P & O's Oriana it had less than 6 feet either side through one of the locks. Now thats what I call good driving

laurie53 10:43 07 Nov 08

I recently watched a large container ship going through on of the locks in the Panama Canal (Merchant Navy programme).

That looked to have just inches either side and really did look a tight squeeze.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…