I'll just have the pie then

wiz-king 08:31 23 Aug 11
Answered

Rook is off the menu so I will have the four and twenty pie.

Sing a song of sixpence a pocket full of rye, Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie. When the pie was opened the birds began to sing, Oh wasn't that a dainty dish to set before the king? The king was in his counting house counting out his money, The queen was in the parlour eating bread and honey The maid was in the garden hanging out the clothes, When down came a blackbird and pecked off her nose!

Crosstrainer2 08:35 23 Aug 11

....and your point is?

Aitchbee 08:49 23 Aug 11

This news, will not ruffle the feathers of the 'Chicken Union'. Chicken is 'Top Bird' in restaurants.

sunnystaines 09:10 23 Aug 11

the story is here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-14613257

pub no longer selling rook pie on police advice

Quickbeam 09:27 23 Aug 11

Clearly the cookie was a naive rookie...

Armchair 10:38 23 Aug 11

Reminds me of a Two Ronnies sketch:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvm6mN-LSbE

Aitchbee 15:30 23 Aug 11
Answer

wiz-king - are you quoting from the 'Arthur Mee's Children's Encyclopaedia'? It came in ten red volumes.They are the font of my knowledge...no comments please. I luckily rescued a set ( in VG condition) from a charity shop for a tenner last year.The originals (now lost) were bought by my parents about 1955.Nursery rhymes (with musical notation) were a great source of enjoyment for me, and my two brothers and two sisters.

Housten 15:53 23 Aug 11

AitchBEE,

From comments you have made I have assumed you are living near Glsagow, my native city, although I am now living in Hampshire. My parents bought me 'Arthur Mee's Children's Encyclopaedia', but my copy is blue. I was going to ask you about the copyright date but having just checked my copy it does not have a copyright date, just a note from my father for my birthday in 1952, which means, I am assuming, that it was bought in Gillingham, Kent which is where we were living at that time. The colour difference could also be accounted for by the fact yours is Scottish and mine is English!!

Aitchbee 16:14 23 Aug 11

Housten - Do want me to quote from volume NINE which contains Pages 5935-6672? It's the first one that came to hand. Even the smell of the book is lovely.I am from Glasgow.The books have something like an 'Olympic Torch' on the front.

Aitchbee 16:22 23 Aug 11

Handel, 'The king of music' is on the inside cover.The last page has 20 'five minute puzzles'. Puzzle 11 is..' Cato and Chloe combined well together...make a drink not amiss in very cold weather.

justme 20:04 23 Aug 11

Just in case AitchBEE's puzzle 11 is getting to you the answer is 'chocolate'

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…