"I'll Have 'alf"

laurie53 17:01 18 Jan 09

Many years ago there was a comedy programme on tv and whenever the protagonists ended up in the pub one of the characters, a little old man, would always say "I'll have 'alf"

The phrase has become a family catchphrase, but none of us can remember where it originated.

Can anybody help please?

Marko797 17:08 18 Jan 09

googled ur title Laurie53 and this came up...

"If you can call it a comedy...

It was called "Love Thy Neighbour", a series I don't suppose we will ever see repeated even on the nostalgia channels.

The character who said it was a little old man (Jacko) in a cap who shared a table with the main characters in the pub. The long-running joke was that he never bought a round but if anyone else offered then he always said "I'll have an half"

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:11 18 Jan 09

This was used by one of the characters in Early Doors but that series (which was excellent) was fairly recent. It was originally said by Jacko in LTN.

G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:04 18 Jan 09

Jacko in LTN

and his other phrase was "I erd that"

laurie53 19:50 18 Jan 09

Many thanks.

I knew I'd get the answer!

WhiteTruckMan 20:59 18 Jan 09

A good candidate for a prime time rerun! With any luck some of the more extreme PC brigade would experience the joys of a non-optional cardiac functional abberation!

WTM

dagbladet 21:39 18 Jan 09

GANDALF <|:-)>

I reckon 'Old Tommy' on Early doors' is better known for the catch phrase "No thanks, I'll stay on me own".

Quickbeam 00:52 19 Jan 09

I always thought that was in Peter Tinniswood's 'I Didn't Know You Cared'... Uncle Mort?

tullie 04:17 19 Jan 09

It was Ill have arf not alf

Forum Editor 06:28 19 Jan 09

I think you'll find it was 'alf'.

It's 'half' with the 'h' dropped.

Quickbeam 06:58 19 Jan 09

A Northern 'alf, rather than a Cockney 'arf tha knows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…